Refinishing Floors While Painting Walls? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Refinishing Floors while painting walls?

We are currently having our plaster walls patched, sanded and painted.

We are also having our original oak floors sanded and stained. They said that they would paint one coat on the walls, then sand the floors, then paint another coat on the walls, then stain the floors. Does that make sense to go in that order?

Or should they sand the floors then paint two coats and then stain? They might be going in their order to save on time which I don't mind as long as it comes out right and not just so they can save a day on our job. Any thoughts?

Advertisement

buzzkillb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Get all of the painting done, let it dry good, then do the floors.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #3

What's the reasoning to paint completely first? I feel like giving a reasonable answer helps smooth things with the workers when we want to do something different than what they propose.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Because paint & gypsum mud gets dropped & spilt, and you want to get that out of the way, vs. trying to do the floors, then have the before mentioned happen.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 11-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #5

Thanks!! I was looking forward to painting myself but it all just turned into so much more as we went along with the project.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Let the paint dry so the sanding dust does not adhere to semi cured paint and add a little texture oe bleed a little color , Been there done that anbd this is my profession [oops] Make sure you have some matching touch up paint . There will be some unintended stain on the wall , I don't care how long I have been doing flooring , One way or another A little stain will get on the wall tacomahardwoodfloors.com
tacomahardwood. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #7

How much touch up paint do you suggest buying and how long can it generally last for? These forums are so helpful, which makes me puzzled on why a place selling the product paying a salary can't be more helpful.

BTW any RED colors and brand specifically we should look at for painting our front door? Talk about a difficult decision. haha.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Paint blends change over time. I would not keep any extra more than 5 years, if kept in a cool place such as a basement or attached insulated garage. Unattached garage not insulated, or out in a shed, paint should only be kept for no more than two.

You can keep a small container of the paint from the can in a small container, such as something like the Dutch boy quart sized containers in your closet of your house with no problems for the five years.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #9
Don't WANNA do it myself

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkillb View Post
BTW any RED colors and brand specifically we should look at for painting our front door? Talk about a difficult decision. haha.
I chose Benjamen Moore's Confederate Red for our living room. It's a really nice deep, true red.

And there is no way I'd let them paint, spackle or anything else over new floors. Once they sand them they are working over raw wood. That means everything that touches the floor can ruin it. Wet shoes, dirt, paint, mud... once it's in those open pores good luck getting it out. Plus, if they sand the floors, the walls and ceiling will be coated with dust, and they will have to wash the newly painted walls before the paint is fully cured.

They want to do it that way to save time, not because it makes a whole lot of sense.

Fixing the re-muddling one room at a time...
mnp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #10

Great I will let them know in the morning that we want it done in order of paint then floors.

Red would be for the outside of the front door.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #11
Don't WANNA do it myself

Rewards Points: 500

Not the best photo because of the flash, but the corners of the photo (outside of the flash burn) are a little closer to the color.

Fixing the re-muddling one room at a time...
mnp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #12

Save a little from the painter in a pint jar or what ever is left , Usually when I install and sand a floor and stain . You need a small brush stroke here or there for touch up , tacomahardwoodfloors.com
Old 11-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #13

The reason the people at the store don't know is because they don't have much experience , Retail salepeople usually don't evolve from the trades , The trades people I know can't take the pace of standing in a store all day , So the store hires rookies and trains them , Here In washington there are very knowlegdable retailers , But not at the BIG stores , lakewood hardware and paint people have helped me with there superior knowledge of paint and stain and I am a hardwood contractor , Think I know it all like everyone , And get humbled enough to ask for answers when things go wrong , So ask around for what store in your area has knowledgeable people .
Old 11-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomahardwood. View Post
The reason the people at the store don't know is because they don't have much experience , Retail salepeople usually don't evolve from the trades , The trades people I know can't take the pace of standing in a store all day , So the store hires rookies and trains them , Here In washington there are very knowlegdable retailers , But not at the BIG stores , lakewood hardware and paint people have helped me with there superior knowledge of paint and stain and I am a hardwood contractor , Think I know it all like everyone , And get humbled enough to ask for answers when things go wrong , So ask around for what store in your area has knowledgeable people .
I thought the actual Dunn Edwards store would be the place to get help. Its a pretty small place.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 10

I know you already got the answer you were looking for, but I learned that protection is the best. If you happened to get the floors installed already, you could always pro-tect. Just a thought for those of you reading this that have the same question, but don't have the option to install the floors later.

Advertisement

CassandraLuke is offline   Reply With Quote