Refinishing Floors - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Refinishing Floors

Realtor called us today wanting to know if we can refinish floors for one of her properties. Built many things, fixed many things, but oddly enough never refinished hardwood floors.

Any secrets to it or anything we should be watching out for?? Plan is to rent a large sander and strip everything down to the original flooring, then restain, poly, sand, then poly again.

Any problems w/ this approach? Thanks guys.

James
www.renovatorswv.com

Advertisement

srfcocoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,190

Refinishing Floors

In my experience, refinishing floors is surprisingly difficult to get right. Too much pressure, you gouge the floor. Too little pressure, you never get done. There is a reason professionals get paid to refinish floors. If this were DIY, I might say go for it, if you screw it up, no big deal. But this sounds like you are planning to charge for the work (I assume this is not a DIY freebie), so at a minimum you owe it to the prospective client to inform them that you have zero experience, and offer them the chance to hire someone who actually has done this before. If they still want to hire you, perhaps you can purchase a refinishing book, I have several good ones at home, neither of which has converted me into a professional floor mechanic.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Refinishing Floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
In my experience, refinishing floors is surprisingly difficult to get right. Too much pressure, you gouge the floor. Too little pressure, you never get done. There is a reason professionals get paid to refinish floors. If this were DIY, I might say go for it, if you screw it up, no big deal. But this sounds like you are planning to charge for the work (I assume this is not a DIY freebie), so at a minimum you owe it to the prospective client to inform them that you have zero experience, and offer them the chance to hire someone who actually has done this before. If they still want to hire you, perhaps you can purchase a refinishing book, I have several good ones at home, neither of which has converted me into a professional floor mechanic.
Yes it will be for a fee and I have already told her it will be our first time doing this, I am not so brash or unscrupulous as to not reveal that to a prospective customer.

I'll grab a book, talk to some people, and watch some videos. I apprecaite the advice but like I said I was just looking for some tricks of the trade not a lesson on how to do business.
srfcocoa is offline   Reply With Quote