Refinishing Flooring - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Refinishing flooring

I have decided to refinish our oak flooring. It won't be possible to shutdown the house during this process so I want to know if it is possible to complete rooms/hallways in stages. If so, what is the technique for having the new finishes blend. Any recommendations on which finish will or will not allow you to do this in stages?

Gary

Advertisement

Gary McC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 738

Refinishing flooring

It can be done one room at a time.
But I strongly sugget you hire this job out. By the time you rent the equipment, buy the sandpaper and all the supplys, get over the learning curve a pro could have done it faster and not much more expencive and come out far better, with less dust all over the house.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Refinishing flooring

You can do it in stages. Just have your seam be parallel to the boards. You have to be careful however when you put down the poly that you feather and buff the seam so you don't get an overlapping bead edge. If you're going to stain as part of the process that introduces another opportunity to highlight a seam. If you can, choose areas where if there does end up being a seam, it's not front and center.

As Joe pointed out however you may not be able to do this much more cheaply than a professional if you need to do it multiple stages. That is going to up your tool rental cost. Depends on how many days you need to rent. That said, floor refinishing costs can vary widely depending on where you are. Here in Washington DC it's fairly pricey.

And there is a learning curve to using a belt sander, and significant consequences for screwing things up. If you live in an older house with uneven or bouncy floors, I would advise against doing it yourself as there are issues to do with sander vibration that it's difficult for a novice to anticipate and avoid.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #4

Refinishing flooring

Thanks for the replies. I have complete confidence in the advice that was given, after I posted my original question I went to the local Home Depot and started doing the math, I came to the same conclusion on cost. While I pride myself in being able to do most home repairs, why go through the learning curve for a few dollars and get first-time results. FYI, here in S.C. it seems that the going rate is about $2 a sq ft with many people advertising less than that. I'm always skeptical of the low cost contractor.

Thanks,
Gary
Gary McC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:31 AM   #5

Refinishing flooring

Before we moved into our house, we refinished all the hardwood floors by ourselves. (more detailed info on our experience here: http://www.christonium.com/HomeProje...ding-finishing ) And boy was it a lot of work! It was a lot of fun, but there was dust absolutely everywhere! I would not recommend refinishing floors while you're still living in the space, unless perhaps it's one room that you can close of completely. However we saved a ton of money doing it ourselves, so if you're on a tight budget, then it might be worth it to figure it out and do it yourself...
quelle4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #6
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,098

Refinishing flooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McC View Post
Thanks for the replies. I have complete confidence in the advice that was given, after I posted my original question I went to the local Home Depot and started doing the math, I came to the same conclusion on cost. While I pride myself in being able to do most home repairs, why go through the learning curve for a few dollars and get first-time results. FYI, here in S.C. it seems that the going rate is about $2 a sq ft with many people advertising less than that. I'm always skeptical of the low cost contractor.

Thanks,
Gary
I'm going to be the contrary voice here...

I don't doubt the $2 per sq ft price. It's a tough economy, and some really great professionals are working on the cheap.

Even so, I refinished the oak floors in a rental house a couple years ago. Start to finish, I redid a little over 900 sq feet for just under $500. The math is pretty simple. I had virtually NO dust anywhere, because of the dust collection system on the sander rented.

Doing one room at a time is going to be MUCH easier if the floor boards run parallel to the doorway. If that is the case, you can simply sand & finish right up to the edge of one board.

On the other hand, the extra $1,000 - $1,500 to have a professional do the floors might be worth it. It really depends on what you're willing to do, and what you're willing to pay for.

Good luck!

Advertisement

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote