Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2009, 01:38 AM   #1

Share |

Refinish or Replace Hardwoods? Is it worth it?

The house I purchased has the original hardwood floors from 1958. I'm guessing they are oak and they are 2 inches by 3/4 inch solid wood. In 1991 an addition was built on to the back of the house. At this time a wall was knocked down and approximately 130 square feet were added to make one large master suite with sitting area/office. The living room leads into the hall and then into the master bedroom. So, about 600-700 square feet of original hardwoods exist (currently covered in hideous carpet) and I want to know if it is going to cost more to try and match the original floors, or should I rip them all out and start from scratch. Essentially half of the master beadroom has the hardwoods and half does not. There is also another 100 square feet upstairs. My plan would be to sand them down, stain, and finish them all. Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Rebster; 04-27-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Rebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:58 AM   #2

Floors can be sanded at least several times over their life, and properly done, should last for years. Matching is another issue, sometimes easy, sometimes not. Get a local wood flooring contractor to look at your situation and see what they have to say.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #3
Nia

I would try to find a similiar wood and not rip up what you have, because depending on where your bed will be place in your master will cover a good portion of the floor. Depending on how the floor is divided you can try to make a design that would transition the new floor with the old. I don't know if the last idea would work without seeing a picture. It is definitely more cost effective to leave what you have, re-finish them and try to find something close that will work.

Last edited by Nia; 04-27-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Nia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
Oldie but Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebster View Post
The house I purchased has the original hardwood floors from 1958. I'm guessing they are pine and they are 2 inches by 3/4 inch solid wood. In 1991 an addition was built on to the back of the house. At this time a wall was knocked down and approximately 130 square feet were added to make one large master suite with sitting area/office. The living room leads into the hall and then into the master bedroom. So, about 600-700 square feet of original hardwoods exist (currently covered in hideous carpet) and I want to know if it is going to cost more to try and match the original floors, or should I rip them all out and start from scratch. Essentially half of the master beadroom has the hardwoods and half does not. There is also another 100 square feet upstairs. My plan would be to sand them down, stain, and finish them all. Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated.
Note: Pine is not hardwood

It really all depends on what you've got, whether it can be refinished and how hard it would be to match it in size and color, etc.

If you can, post a picture. You may need a wood flooring expert to come have a look and advise you.

Here is a floor in my house, a transition between a hall and a bedroom. The horizontal boards in the top part of the picture were installed five years ago. The vertical boards in the lower part of the picture have been in place for 50 years. So, yes, it can be done.

LookoutRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:11 PM   #5

You're correct, I mispoke, the floors are a combination of red oak and white oak.

The go in the same direction in both the living room and bedroom.
Rebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:59 PM   #6
Oldie but Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebster View Post
I mispoke, the floors are a combination of red oak and white oak.
They should be fairly easy to match. Then only real question then is whether the existing floor can be refinished. They can only take sanding down a couple of times. That's where a good flooring expert could be very helpful.

LookoutRanch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carpet, hardwood flooring, pine, refinishing, staining