Refinish Original Wood Subfloor And Lead Paint - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Refinish original wood subfloor and lead paint

Underneath some hideous carpet, we discovered the original wood plank subfloor (pine?). We'd like to refinish it, but it had been painted in the past, and I can't tell the condition of the wood because of this old paint. Since our house is old, no doubt the paint is lead-based. Is there a safe way to remove this paint and refinish the floors? I read about infrared heaters that can be used to remove old paint - anyone use these?

Also, our first floor has been completely covered in ceramic tile. I really want to find out what the floor looks underneath. What's the best way to check?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Camera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Infrared strippers are absolutely wonderful. Don't get your hopes too high if the floors are a softwood like pine. You are unlikely to get everything out of the grain so they look nice natural.

Painted floors get a bad rep. Go to the library for some examples of drop dead gorgeous painted ones.

You will still want to strip, patch and sand them.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

you can try a chemical stripper, then sand, and hope for the best, but I have my doubts. Chemical strip then repaint sounds like a better move to me.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:04 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

You can also sand the floors with a floor sander. The orbital ones are relatively easy for a DIY project. The drum ones will chew through a pine floor in seconds if you are not careful. It will take lots of paper to sand paint without stripping it. And, if you suspect lead, you will be sending it airborne and will have to follow abatement and protection procedures.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote