Redoing Kitchen - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2010, 12:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Redoing Kitchen

I am going to be ripping out all of the old cabinets. I will also be putting in a dishwasher and new flooring (probably hardwood). The cabinets I am using will probably be the stock ones you can purchase at lowes or home depot. My question is, should I put the cabinets and dishwasher in, and then put flooring on? Or cover entire floor with new hardwood, and then add the cabinets and dishwasher?

Also, when tiling a bathroom, do you put the tile down first and then sit the toilet on top, or toilet first and tile around?

Advertisement

Last edited by ws450r; 05-10-2010 at 12:05 PM.
ws450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
Ivy

Rewards Points: 25

Redoing Kitchen

I myself had the same question when renovating my kitchen. I ended up laying the tile first and then installing the cabinets and appliances over the flooring. Turned out great! It's been 2 1/2 months since I started and am still not finished as you can see. Tile the bathroom floor first and then install the toilet... Patient is key.
Attached Thumbnails
Redoing Kitchen-100_0195.jpg   Redoing Kitchen-100_0196.jpg   Redoing Kitchen-100_0358.jpg  

Advertisement

Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

Redoing Kitchen

Cabinets over tile is one thing, cabinets over hardwood is an entirely different deal. What happens when the wood floor gets wet and buckles then takes the cabinets with it? Insurance may not pay for all of the damage.

I would install the cabinets then install the hardwood up to the cabinets, that's usually the way it is done.

As far as the toilet?
Never tile around a toilet.
Always set the toilet on top of the tile.
Same goes for toilets and other floorcoverings as well.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Redoing Kitchen

If I go with hardwood up to the cabinets, will I have any trouble getting the dishwasher to slide in? I know there is not that much difference, but it seems like everything fits so tight these days when messing with this stuff.
ws450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:18 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

Redoing Kitchen

It's done every day. Dishwashers have a little adjustment in the front legs if you need it. Hardwood that is 3/4" thick shouldn't be a problem.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Redoing Kitchen

sorry but cabinets should be sitting on floor or shimmed to that height. i didnt do it that way and dish washer install sucks. and i used 1/2" engineered hardwood flooring. never again
Old 05-10-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,214

Redoing Kitchen

The cabinets must sit on top of the flooring--If you wish to add your hard wood after the cabinets--
lay 3/4 inch ply under the cabinets so the cabinets are the same height.

It's so much easier to install the flooring first that the cost of the extra wood is long forgotten ---

Speaking of elevations----don't forget to lower the drains for the sink--new -under mount sinks with a disposer need a lower drain.---Mike---

Advertisement

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote