Redo-ing Kitchen... Need Help With Order Of Events. - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2008, 04:55 PM   #1
Enormous Member

Rewards Points: 75

redo-ing kitchen... need help with order of events.

I'm gutting the kitchen down to a bare room and I plan on readding cabinets and tiling the floor.

I plan on using 1/4" cement board. Do I cover the entire floor w/the cement board before I place the base cabinets?

Or do people normally just place the cabinets and then add the backer board around them?

It seems to me that question one is the way to go... or at least will involve fewer cuts around the cabinetry.

Next question... once I add the tile.. my toekick will be too wide, wont it? or do I add the toe kick before the tile? Had sort of planned on running the toe kick across the front of the dishwasher. Saw that on a display at Home Depot.. or Lowes and I like the look of that. If I add the toe kick prior to the tile... and I have to replace the dishwasher someday, am I setting myself up for a pain in the arse down the line?

Advertisement

skipjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:18 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,614

All dishwashers come with their own toe-kick (cover plate). Why not leave it at that? Just because a big box did it in a display doesn't make it right. They probably lost the face plate or were too lazy to do it properly. It isn't unusual to have tp rip-down the toe-cover material to fit on top of the tile. The toe-cover is intended to be "stock" and not necessarily a pre-fit piece.

Whether or not you put the cabinets on top of the cement board or the tile is your choise. There are no rules. If you put the cabinets in first then cement board and tile be sure your dishwasher is going to fit under the countertop.

Advertisement

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:30 AM   #3
Enormous Member

Rewards Points: 75

Thanks, Bud. The wood toekick across the bottom of the dishwasher gave it more of a built-in look... but... looking around at dishwashers and cabinet toe kicks, I'm not sure all dishwashers can be installed this way. So, I'll probably just go with a standard washer cutout.

As for the tile... I'll backer-board the room, set the cabinets, and then tile. It'll save me some 30 square feet of tile.

Thanks again.
skipjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:25 PM   #4
Edie

Rewards Points: 25

Skipjack - I've installed tile this way before (cabinets first, tile up to the cabinets) and had difficulties fitting the dishwasher in. Just the slight height of tile & mortar can be too much. This isn't always the case, but I recommend that you triple check your measurements to ensure that the dishwasher will fit. Of course the best way to ensure that this isn't an issue is to tile the entire space. I prefer to install kitchens this way because then you're (or your tiler is) not faced with cutting tiles to fit around base cabinets... it's a far more simple wall-to-wall lay.
EdinDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:24 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,614

The tiles still have to be cut at the walls.

Most dishwashers have adjusters on the front (and sometimes the back) that can be removed if need be and you can gain an additional 1/4 to 3/8 inch.

I have done scores of tile add-ons in the last thirty-two years and never once have I had a dishwasher that wouldn't fit. Never once.

It does happen however from what I hear.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote