Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2007, 06:28 PM   #1

Share |

Recommendations for finishing garage floor?

We move into our house on the 27th and our heads are spinning with all of the things we want to do. One thing that's top priority on the list is doing something with the garage floor. We figured it would be easiest to do this early on before we aquire a lot of lawn supplies that are going to have to be moved out to do the floor. We want to finish the floor with something that is stain proof so he can work on the cars. Anybody have some suggestions? Also, has anybody put a colored finish on their garage floor? If you'd like to post some pics of your finished work feel free to do so. Thanks in advance.

bhpizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:47 PM   #2

What kind of floor are we talking about here? Is it just plain, completely unfinished concrete? Is it new concrete or old concrete? These will be factors involved in the preparation of your floor for a new finish.

I'm pretty sure (someone please confirm/disapprove this) that the final sealing, regardless of what you choose for your floor, will be what influences its stain resistance.

You could do a number of things though:
- just seal your plain, grey concrete floor
- stain the floor, either for a mottled effect or straight uniform color
- use paint on it (special concrete paints)
- epoxy coat it (from what I hear, it's relatively difficult and improper installation frequently results in failures such as peeling or hot tire pickup of the epoxy)

Now, all of those things I mentioned could be done to an existing concrete slab (if the slab is okay enough for the proper preparation work), or you may need to pour an overlay (kind of like a new cement floor, only it's a thin slab directly over your old one; this also allows a new option, one that can be combined with most of the above ones - stamping patterns)

Here's some pics I have of cool finished concrete. I've gathered these from various sources, as I'm in the same situation as you are (new house, hideous green painted concrete slab garage/front stoop area).

My guess is that I'll be doing one of the following to mine:
1) just paint it over to a color I want (because this is much easier than other methods)
2) put an overlay on it, and once the overlay is ready, do a mottled tan stain, then seal it.

Good luck, keep us posted. I'll try to remember to put a link in this thread to pics of mine once it's done.
Attached Thumbnails
Recommendations for finishing garage floor?-2parkmeadows1996.jpg   Recommendations for finishing garage floor?-213.jpg   Recommendations for finishing garage floor?-suarez8.jpg  
Attached Images

joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:29 AM   #3

Once we get into the house we're going to probably get a quote for the Rust-Oleum Ultra Epoxy-Shield. Hopefully it won't be too expensive. Home Depot has an installation service. You said that improper installation can cause peeling but, if the materials can be purchased for DIY install, his grandfather may be able to help us do it. He has a lot of experience and is a true all-around handyman. Anybody have any experience with Rust-Oleum Epoxy-Shield, especially with DIY installation.

Oh yeah, here's a link to the material we're talking about. Check out the photo gallery, beautiful garage floors:
http://www.premiumgaragefloors.com/r...t.asp?DN=ULTRA
Old 06-15-2007, 07:06 AM   #4

Just my opinion but donít use HD or Lowes for install they use external contractors and itís a bugger to get them to come back and fix if you have problems.
HAASEMAN2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:10 AM   #5

JoeyBoy,

I have two concrete slabs: one for a patio (16x20) and the other is an extension of the blacktop driveway (12x15). I'm still in debate whether I should completely remove the patio and replace it with some sort of natural stone pavers. The driveway extenson is flush with the drive and is a pretty massive piece of concrete.

Are there any DIY'er methods that can produce the same results as your photos?

Last edited by Jeekinz; 06-15-2007 at 10:19 AM.
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:12 AM   #6

I just checked that link - they only warranty the stuff for 1, 2, or 3 years (dependent upon which 'quality' level you choose). My guess is non-professional installation voids any warranties. And I've read in contractor forums that these epoxy systems have high failure rates. It's what I actually wanted to do in the first place to my garage. Only I want to do everythign diy (well, almost everything anyways), and what I read made me certain I wasn't making the right choice doing it as a diy for the first time I've ever seen teh process done.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:13 AM   #7

ah you posted while I was responding - are you saying you have asphalt in your garage? confused..
Old 06-15-2007, 12:02 PM   #8

Two years ago I moved into a 5 yr old home with a 3 bay garage. The previous owner had painted the concrete garage floor and it was peeling in spots. I hated it. I looked at the various options to include the HD/Lowes epoxy paints. I had a local (NJ) professional floor coating company come talk to me and got a quote from HD for them to do it. In addition I talked to three people who did the job themselves using HD/Lowes product.

Of those who either did it themselves or had HD/LOWES do it, NOT ONE was happy with the results after less than 2 years. The professional floor coating company do industrial jobs where truck and fork lift traffic is commonplace.

After all that, I decided to go with the professional floor coating company. It took them 5 days to complete the job. First day was spent steel bead blasting all the old paint off. Then they used an electric hand grinder to get right up to all edges including the steel lolly columns. Then they started applying the coating which took 3 1/2 days in all for the base coat, texture coat and sealing coats.

The results are amazing. People are absolutely stunned with the floor. It appears to be completely stain proof. In fact, if you spill water on it, or water drops off the cars from rain, that water will be on the floor until you wipe it up or it evaporates days later. It just will not go anywhere. I do vehicle maintenance to include oil changes in the garage and nothing stains it. One word of caution is that the surface WILL scratch if you drag heavy rough stuff across it. However it doesn't appear the scratches penetrate anything beyond the top coat. I guess if you really worked at it you could screw it up.

The cost for the pros was right around $4 sq.ft. LOWES/HD price was like $3.75 for their BEST job.

After watching the pro do it and after having 2 years experience with the results, this was money well spent. Your mileage may vary.
armyguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:24 PM   #9

ya that's the impression I got. I figured it couldn't be that hard, and was gonna do it myself, but after reading lots online I decided it'd be a hard project for me and would have such a high rate of failing that it wouldn't be worth the time/effort/cash. It's the only floor finish in my garage I wouldn't undertake myself.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:22 AM   #10

I just finished the garage- patched the holes, gave it a coat of exterior paint, & coated the floor with a DIY epoxy kit from Lowes. I needed two kits for a two car garage, and they ended up costing less than $250.

I've heard that these DIY epoxy kits start to fade and peel after a couple years, but so far, it looks fine to me. We moved the washer & dryer back in the room, and had to slide them around the floor a little bit to get them in place, but this stuff didn't scratch. I've also moved those steel shelves around, and the epoxy doesn't scratch.

Then again, this is a brand new job, so who knows how it will look in 5 years.

It was also extremely easy to do.

1. Power wash the garage floor
2. Scrub the floor (cleaner included in kit)
3. Once floor is dry, mix epoxy together, paint it on
4. Shake those little flakes on
5. Let dry for 72 hours before moving anything back into the garage

Took me about 4 hours to clean, and another 4 to paint (and I work pretty slow)

Food for thought. From where I sit, this kit was a bargain.

Last edited by Josh the Jenius; 06-20-2007 at 12:27 AM.
Josh the Jenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:22 AM   #11

Wow. Looks really nice Josh. Couple questions for ya. Did you use the Rustoleum Epoxy Shield kit? If so, which kit did you use, (standard or premium)? How long did you have to let the floor dry between cleaning and painting? Did you use the anti-slip additive? What did you use to spread the paint chips evenly?

I'm pretty sure I'm just going to try this myself for starters. If it comes out horrible I can just pay somebody else to do it but I'm not about to pay a company $1200+ to come and do it without trying it myself first. We have a ton of things we want to do to our new house and if the garage floor is going to cost that much it's going to be bumped way down on the list. That's $1200 that I'd put into a whole-house air filtration system long before I used it to shine up the garage floor.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:33 AM   #12

Here is the kit I used:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...020&lpage=none

Even cheaper than I thought: $62 /each (I needed 2 for a standard 2 car garage).

>> How long did you have to let the floor dry between cleaning and painting?

Overnight.

>> Did you use the anti-slip additive?

No. The floor texture feels like rubber. It was actually kinda sticky for the first week.

>> What did you use to spread the paint chips evenly?

They come in a small container, just like fish food (small holes in cap). You just paint a small area, sprinkle, and repeat.

Also- this kit included a DVD containing step-by-step video instructions.

Very easy stuff.

Like others have mentioned: the type of floor make a difference. We were working with plain cement, and powerwashed it thoroughly before we did anything else. If the floor has already been treated, the epoxy may not set properly.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:39 AM   #13

Thanks for the fast reply. I'll be looking into this for sure. Thanks for all your help Josh.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:58 AM   #14

Happy to help. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:24 AM   #15

Josh - did you acid etch the floor first? Bonding agents? Or just cleaned the floor and directly appied the epoxy?