Recommedation For Removing Tongue On Hardwood Plank. - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2008, 09:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Recommedation for Removing Tongue on Hardwood Plank.

Hi,

I'm just looking for any techniques/tools for removing the tongue side from the hardwood plank?

Thanks

Advertisement

anthony9887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:12 AM   #2
Get out of the box!

Rewards Points: 250

Why would you wanna do that?

Advertisement

26yrsinflooring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:00 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 622

Rip it on a table saw. You could also use a jig saw to get it close and follow up with a hand plane or a router with a straight bit and a fence.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:23 PM   #4
Get out of the box!

Okay I'll bite....

If you do not have table saw you can knock it off with wood chisel.
Or you can flip it tongue up on your miter saw and run the board down the blade just keep the board moving and wear eye protection.

Always wear eye protection, I know a guy.... long story but he is blind in one eye.

If you need the edge visible but you still need the wearlayer of the wood set the table saw at very slight 10* angle and set the depth so it comes just below the surface.

If you cut with a fence cut at right angle it will take the microbevel off the wood.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:37 PM   #5

Thanks for the replys,

I just need to remove the tongue, so the it has a flat edge so I can butt up close to the marble threshold.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:17 PM   #6
Get out of the box!

If you butt a marble threshold it will fail you must allow at least 1/4 expansion from any solid surface, not only will it fail it could take that marble right with it. leave your expansion and put down a T-molding
Old 07-10-2008, 10:41 PM   #7

Hi, 26yrsinflooring

Someone mentioned that 1/8 expansion is enough and afterwards to caulk it. What do you think? I have another question. Is there any harm letting the hardwood to acclimatize for long periods of time before installation? Like 1+ months.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:01 PM   #8
Get out of the box!

Not at all it is even better, the longer the better, true acclimation of hardwood takes weeks since we cannot do that the manufacture will only advise days.
Any acclimation is better than none.

When you deal with hardwood always think 1/4, 1/8 might be enough only the wood can say.

If you are wanting the fill the gap and keep it level here is an idea.

Rip the wood back at 45-50* angle like this " \ " then back fill the aree with some compressable foam that will catch your caulking. Then watch for a few months, if it expands it will spinter the wood edge against the marble or it will ride up over it.either way keep some wood back to fix it one day if it fails.

Note the results for future reference and perhaps you can advise the advisors!
Old 07-11-2008, 10:03 AM   #9

26yrsinflooring I appreciate your feedback. I do notice some of the planks have some bowing in the ends, is this related to the manufacturing process or due to the acclimatization/humidity levels?
Old 07-11-2008, 09:54 PM   #10
Get out of the box!

That is in board, it happens a lot with purchases from Home Depot or Lowes or even Lumber liquidators.

People do not realize that when they purchase at those prices they are getting what they pay for. They get what was rejected the first time the boards went to boxing, they get the seconds.

If you want first quaility wood it cost!

If anybody wants to refute that I heard it directly from the wood manufacture rep.

I am hesitant to sell any wood but the best on my site and I have very few hardwood sales because people do not understand that they are getting cabingrade product.
The ones that do understand add extra for culling they know they will geta lot of bad boards.

The best thing to do is cut off the bad part and use it for a starter board on your starting wal
Old 07-13-2008, 06:44 PM   #11

That would explain it. I picked it up on sale at Home Depot. I have another question to deals with leveling the floor. I noticed in one particular spot, there is a 1/8" height drop in the floor, aftering placing a long measuring level, it looks like something was spilled in this spot when there was carpet. What would you recommend in fixing this? Levelling compound, asphalt shingles?

Advertisement