Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2008, 01:19 PM   #1

Share |

Reclaimed Gym Floor

I have some reclaimed 7/8" beech wood 5"-2 strip flooring that came out of a gym. What is the best way to lay this floor? It does not have tongue and groove on the ends. Should I use construction adhesive on the ends or a screw with a peg on top? Is it even necessary to nail the ends in? What is the best way to scrape the tongues which are full of gunk?
loxandlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 07:06 PM   #2

Reclaimed Gym Floor

I have a similar reclaimed floor only it's maple. How did you end up cleaning the tongue and groove? I'll be nailing mine to 1/2" plywood.
smcmurrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:58 PM   #3

Reclaimed Gym Floor

If you don't mind me asking, what is reclaimed floor worth where you're at? I'm in a western Canadian city, and someone has 1500 sq. feet of maple reclaimed out of a church -- it still has all the nails through the tongues, and is rather dirty. He wants $1.50 a foot - I think that's a bit ridiculous! Or am I the ridiculous one? Thanks for your thoughts!
cbeingessner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:44 PM   #4

Reclaimed Gym Floor

I paid about $.75 per square ft and bought about 2500 sq ft. I got a deal because they just pulled it up, probably got paid for doing that, they had to haul it back to their shop about 250 miles or sell it locally in town. This was about 2 years ago, they brought it to the house and unloaded it, it was bundled in sizes that could be handled by one guy. Almost all the nails are out. Mine has the stripes from a basketball court on it but it's in like new shape. I haven't decided if I should run it through a drum sander before putting it down or just wait and sand it in place.

Stan.
smcmurrey is offline   Reply With Quote