Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2008, 10:02 AM   #1

Share |

Reasonable Charge for Hardwood Repair? (pic)

I have two scratches on hardood, pictures available here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/1336Dean...89485748869202
http://picasaweb.google.com/1336Dean...89088596756082

I am being charged my landlord (this is a move-out issue) $325 for repair of these scratches. I don't think these are going to need major repair or board replacement, but is $325 reasonable or way off the wall? This guy is a nut, so I can never be sure. Please advise. Thanks!

duffeymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:18 AM   #2

This is a DIY site, and we're better suited to assisting you with repairs than helping you determine whether or not you're being charged a reasonable fee.

Normally, a repair will involve nothing less than sanding the finish down and re-finishing. It's not a very simple thing to do. I'd spend the $325 and be gone before he realizes that it might cost more than that to fix.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
Drywall contractor

LOOKS like a simple sand, stain, & seal..... but even so, it may be a couple of trips. $325 may not be that far out of the ballpark. The little jobs often seem incidental, but when the travel, fuel cost, and time actually involved in the project are taken into consideration it adds up. You could try getting your own estimate and have the repair done, but it would still have to meet your landlord's scrutiny. Probably not worth it. (And unfortunately, I'd be willing to bet he doesn't even get it fixed as it looks pretty minor.) Like KC said, probably better to let it go.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:47 PM   #4

Is that real wood or laminate? Either way you could try to buff it out since it appears to be a surface scratch. Try a little automotive buffing compound, a rag, and some elbow grease.
Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffeymt View Post
This guy is a nut, so I can never be sure. Please advise.
I'll advise you that he's more than a nut, he's a complete A-wipe for not considering that to be normal wear and tear. Landlords do not have the right to expect their property to be in perfect condition after it is used, that is partly why they get to claim depreciation when filing taxes.

I don't know what the actual costs would be to repair that "damage". What I do know is that your landlord is taking advantage of the fact that you want to get this transaction over with, and he selected the repair cost as being the highest amount he thinks you're willing to pay before you decide to settle the matter in court.

I don't know what kind of relationship you have with your landlord, but something like that would lead me to call him an A-wipe right to his face.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:36 PM   #6

It's a sensitive subject for sure.
I would not go so far as to call him an A-Wipe.
Normal wear and tear may or may not include scratches. Scratches happen from abuse or lack of furniture protectors.
Surface abrasions are normal wear and tear, not scratches.
I would however not worry about this if I were the landlord. However in a court of law, I am sure it would be easy for a landlord to argue the difference between normal wear and surface scratches.
Anytime I have rented a place with wood floors I have asked the landlord about expectations.
Hopefully you find a way to hide these blemishes more affordably.
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:18 PM   #7

seems more a scuff mark then an actual scratch, could just be my eyes but that doesn't seem to even go down to the actual wood, just scuffed the finish. I understand you're in a touchy spot, easy for me to shout out to your landlord but thats not my place, good luck dealing with him.
DUDE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:14 PM   #8

Its hard to tell accurately from the pictures but the scratches look very minor and it does not appear to be gouged deep into the wood. Before sanding I would try to buff it a bit as described by DoubleD and use some wax to see if you can get some of the clearcoat shine back. I have used Miniwax Blend-fil pencils to add some color in minor wood scrapes on hardwood flooring with decent results. Too bad the landlord noticed it before you had a chance to repair it.
aggreX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:26 AM   #9
SM1
SandMasters ProFloorCare

While it seems steep for such a small scratch... most hardwood guys have a minimum fee(including me) that is right around 300 bones. If I got the call to repair the scratches i would do as follows (cracks knuckles):you'll want some 2" blue painters tape. You want to tape along the outside edges of the affected boards, then abrade the area with a 220 grit screen (like sheet rock screen or a worn out 100 grit buffer screen from home depot. just fold it in half and rub it together five or ten times to wear it out). Make SURE you abrade with the grain of the wood so the scratches won't show up when you refinish the boards.Your not trying to sand to wood...just enough to lighten the scratches and ruff up the rest of the area so the new poly will adhere properly. I can't quite tell what sheen the floors are with the angle of the pictures. either semi or high gloss. If its like a basket ball court you have high gloss...if it's not quite that reflective then you have semi. Once you've established the sheen and you've taped and abraded your repair areas use a two inch bruch and put a light coat of poly over boards you've taped off. Make sure you don't have any skippers (dry spots) and pull up the tape. The whole process shouldn't take more than 20 minutes. Good luck.
SM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:52 AM   #10

I'd pay the $325 and have it done.
Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison1888 View Post
I'd pay the $325 and have it done.
Nice! Someone is willing to pay for you!
Take the deal!
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:31 PM   #12

Price might indeed not be entirely far fetched, lot of companies have upped their charges just due to the increasing fuel/transportation costs. I know it sounds crazy. I'd recommend you make some phone calls to local contractors, get a second opinion.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 12-03-2008 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Site Rules Violation: Adertising Links Removed From Signature
seanJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:19 AM   #13

If you are comfortable with doing this give it a try.

With a fine rubbing compound try polishing the scratch out. I have done this in the past and it works great.

I use plastic polish on my glasses to get the scratches out and that works well also. Same principle.

This is also normal wear and tear. If you have a city department that handles complaints about abusive landlords give them a call. I have rentals and would never charge a tenant for scuffs like those.
Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:55 PM   #14
J Calvin Construction

Whether it is a scuff or a scratch is beyond arguing. If it was a simple scuff, you would have fixed it when you moved out and mopped up. Now that the landlord has seen it, yes, you have to pay for it. A "normal" wear and tear mark on the floor would have been hardly visible with the glare on the floor like that. That scratch/scuff can be seen from 10ft away.

As for the $325, pay it and go on. You might could get it done a little cheaper, but it may take you a days worth of work to save it. If it is important to you, offer to have the scratch fixed yourself and call up the floor company out to do it pay them out of pocket and go on.

You hired WHO?
jcalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:51 PM   #15
Tae no da

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1 View Post
If I got the call to repair the scratches i would do as follows...
The way to get out of there, spending the least amount of money, is by following SM1's advice. He is a professional telling you what he would do if your landlord called him to do the repair. I think you should try it. you stand to save alot. Do not skimp on the tape when protecting the surrounding area.

Dokuhaku2323 is offline   Reply With Quote