Really Dirt Cheap Laminate - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2008, 02:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 93

Really dirt cheap laminate

I am considering dirt cheap laminate in a rental property. B.J.'s, Costco and an outlet chain called Ollies have laminate flooring for about $1 a square foot. I would use underlayment and it's going over wood subfloor. I'd like to hear success or failure stories. It would not go any where near water. I'm wondering if the planks are out of square or the planks fail to "click." Is the cheap stuff harder to work with or is it just cheap because it looks cheap? One of the retailers (I'm not trying to advertise) has an 8ml layer and a ten year warranty for 97 cents a foot. There is a very limited choice of colors. I'm tired of replacing ruined carpet. Have even tried replacing tenants.

Advertisement

Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:43 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

You are "tired of replacing ruined carpet" but not tired of replacing ruined laminate. Not yet anyway!

I guess you know you get what you pay for in this world!

Advertisement

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

At our store, we really don't get many complaints about any laminate. In fact, we probably sell less and get more complaints about the DuPont and Pergo which are more money.

I once installed some, laminate that my sister was given. It was dirt cheap stuff as you called it. I made a mistake on the layout and unclicked a couple of rows and the tongue fell off. We ended up throwing away about 5 boxes. If it hadn't been free we would have been pissed.

So now I just click and unclick the products in the showroom to see what happens.
HomeDepot23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:13 PM   #4
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 250

I kind of agree with HomeDepot23. Shame on me . What I find as the main difference in Laminates is in the installation. The cheap stuff takes longs to install because you have to be more careful. It chips easy. But once the stuff is down properly they all seem fine. There is some that are more moisture sensitive and some have more protection. The cheap stuff can be hell to lay down.
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:13 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

"I kind of agree with HomeDepot23. Shame on me . "

Thanks a lot. I think.
HomeDepot23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:41 AM   #6

I sell three patterns of a cheap Shaw laminate for $1.35 a SF. Around here that is pretty good. The Shaw pieces are a 7mm with a 15 year warranty. They have a decent locking system and I've never had complaints out of it at all, especially not about a fragile tongue. The only thing cheaper I've found in ths area is a pattern at Lowes for $0.79 and you can break the tongue off of that if you pick it up the wrong way. That's a Kronotex piece if I'm not mistaken. Point is that you can get a good cheap laminate just not as cheap as you are looking at.

Advertisement