Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2010, 07:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Re-using old oak flooring.

We have a one room schoolhouse on our farm in Northern Missouri. The wood floor was removed approximately 60 years ago, the school was moved and put on a concrete slab foundation. My wife and I would like to restore the schoolhouse. We have a lot of questions that I hope someone can help us with as follows:

1. Do you know any resources on tips for restoring one room schoolhouses?
2. Do you have any suggestions on where to find one room schoolhouse artifacts and furnishings?
3. We have narrow board oak flooring manufactured by Eastman Gardiner & Company that either came from this schoolhouse or another one my grandfather tore down. Does anyone have any tips on how to re-use old oak flooring?
4. Since the schoolhouse currently has a concrete slab foundation; and since the plate is approximately 8 inches thick; we were considering putting down floor joists, a sub floor, then re-using this oak flooring. How do we keep moisture and mold from developing between the concrete slab and the sub floor?

Truman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,226

Wood on concrete is a bad idea.

rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:09 PM   #3
master of none

Rewards Points: 10

I know that you will get better replys then mine, but I once used old oak flooring from an old school house to build a table. My point, unless your objective for the floor is to look old, run it through a planer a couple of times to clean it up. Sorry no help on the slab to subfloor setup.
blusnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Hi,

I'm not an expert, but I suppose you could tar the concrete floor first, as if you were doing a foundation. Or use whatever similar product they use nowadays to seal a foundation from water.

Another option would be to use pressure treated lumber--which is made to be outside or against the ground. I don't know how long it's good for, so to speak, but it would probably be a good start to keep the floor from rotting. Then I suppose you could put down 1 or 2 layers of 30lb felt paper (like used on roofing and siding), then your plywood (which could also be CDX exterior plywood), and then on top of this plywood, you would want to use the 30lb felt paper again before the oak floor. The paper here will serve as a final barrier and some cushoning--this is the normal step on flooring.

It seems there's a variety of methods you could try that would work.

Joe

Last edited by Joe1.; 11-30-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Joe1. is offline   Reply With Quote