Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2008, 03:52 PM   #1

Share |

Re-use wood from old pianos for floor?

I've been brainstorming cheap and environmentally friendly ways to install a hardwood floor in a house. I see free old pianos on Craigslist all the time. What do you think of dismantling them and sawing the wood into uniform size boards to use as flooring? I am thinking it would be possibly lots and lots of work, but I wouldn't mind that as long as it was cheap and worked well. It would sure have alot of character. Depending on the woods it would be many different types/colors and I would alternate in a pattern. I'm sure there are many downsides though....thoughts?

DanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:52 PM   #2

Oh, just a quick note, it is a relatively small house, 600 ft^2 of area to do at most..

DanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:09 AM   #3

This is a joke right?
mike costello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:37 PM   #4

Neat idea. But just because the pianos are "free" doesn't make the operation environmentally friendly. You'd have to fetch the instruments in a truck, use a lot of energy refinishing the wood, not to mention the fumes from the finishing .... Also the wood you'd salvage would be all different thicknesses, hard to work with ...

Maybe look at architectural salvage for some wood. A friend of mine had a lovely teak deck made from an old ship.

Me, I live in Quebec and I'm buying maple & merisier which are locally harvested and processed.
Wazadooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:18 PM   #5

You'd need a crapload of free pianos to get 600 sf of wood!

I'd say a grand piano (which are almost certainly not the pianos you're seeing free on CL) would probably yield 25 sf of wood. Basically the top would be the only useable part, right? The sides are veneered and curved, and the inside is actually CAST IRON! So you're going to have to pay to dispose of that in the end.

The uprights are smaller, and more importantly probably mostly veneered, and you couldn't refinish veneered wood for flooring, because you'd have no thickness left (and if you did, it would wear through very quickly).
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote