Re: Smaller Cut Ceramic Tiles On Ditra - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2009, 09:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

re: smaller cut ceramic tiles on ditra

Hello,
From what I have read about the Ditra product, is, it states that you cannot use tile pieces that are smaller than 2x2 on the membrane.

This makes sense, given the shape of the square pits in the ditra.

I wish to create a finely detailed design in one small spot on the floor
(in the space of one square foot) , the rest of the floor will havehave 12x12 or 6x6 tiles

Does anyone know if it is possible to accomplish this?
or should I stick to the standard patterns?

thoughts
-gramps

Advertisement

gramps416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Rewards Points: 500

The problem you're going to have is Ditra will not fully support a tile smaller than 2"x2". If you have a 1/2" tile, the waffle design of Ditra will not be able to support it under load. So what can you do? There are 2 possibilities I'm aware of:
1) Forgo the Ditra and look at NobleSeal. Their membrane is flat and therefor doesn't have the same restrictions.
http://www.noblecompany.com/Products....aspx#products
2) Prefill the Ditra voids a day before. While this technically works, Schluter will not warranty this method. They stand firm with the < 2" restriction. However, there have been others that have successfully done this method in low traffic areas but again, you void the warranty by using an unsupport method.

Advertisement

Old 01-15-2009, 07:29 AM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

Quote:
2) Prefill the Ditra voids a day before.
I don't see how doing that would change anything. It would be the voids (channels) that will always exist under the DITRA that is the problem. The same voids that allow the expansion and contraction flexibility in the DITRA product are the issue and they can't be filled.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
I don't see how doing that would change anything. It would be the voids (channels) that will always exist under the DITRA that is the problem. The same voids that allow the expansion and contraction flexibility in the DITRA product are the issue and they can't be filled.
I agree with you and would not do that myself. That's why I stressed "an unsupported method". However, Bud, you know how people can be. If it's not the answer they want to hear, they:
* goes elsewhere until the hear what they want to
* completely ignore the professional advice given
* actually follow the advice, post back saying it was a success and thanks us!

If someone googled the same question, they'd find replies saying to do the prefilling. I've seen the advice myself from your buddies on JB's site. I guess I was jumping the gun. Prefill will allow enough support for the tile to be set on the Ditra. What happenes under it is the chance they'd have to take.

My #1 suggestion stands, use NobleSeal. And I wasn't suggesting gramps was going to use Ditra regardless of the advice.