Re: Mold And Asbestos - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
jho

Rewards Points: 75

re: mold and asbestos

I have three related questions. i am installing ceramic / Porcelain tile over my basement concrete. I removed the old tile and found tar like adhesive. Once removed, the basement smelled moldy.

questions

#1: is this an indcation of mold?

#2: does the tar have to be removed before installing Porcelain tile?

#3: could I install 1/4 plywood over the tar glue instead?

I can take some pics if that'd help.

Advertisement

jho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,224

Hi neighbor,

That black tar adhesive is called cutback.

1. Could be just a musty damp smell, but a perfect environment for mold. I wouldn't be surprised if you have mold down there. http://www.concrobium.com/

2. The cutback should be cut off with a razor cutter like this; http://www.core-industrial.com/manag...28Small%29.jpg Keep cutting until there is only a film left. You will start to see concrete. Cutback might contain asbestos but it'll be sticky so the fibers will not be airborne. Do not try to sand, it won't work anyway. You can then use a modified thin set mortar (powder) that claims it'll work over cutback.

3. NO WAY! Don't even think about it.

Pictures are always helpful. Most homes in Ferndale are on the older side, basements are usually not flat. Do you think the slab is flat enough for tiles? What size were you considering?

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
jho

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
1. Could be just a musty damp smell, but a perfect environment for mold. I wouldn't be surprised if you have mold down there. http://www.concrobium.com/
What's up neighborly neighbor? I was just about to ask about this product Concrobium after someone responded. I called the Health Division of Oakland Township and they recommended this place, Santi-Air. These guys told me to pick up some of this stuff. I checked out that site, and it doesn't say how much a gallon, 4-gallons, 5-gallons or a 55-gallon drum covers, so I'm not sure how much I need to get. I have just about my entire basement floor to do, and I live in a Ferndale 927 sq. ft. bungalow.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
jho

Answer to your other questions, I do have one of those razor cutters, so I'll get to work on that. Would it be easier to use any sort of a solvent to loosen it up? I have a lot of area to cover. Thinking of taking that task on for some reason reminds me of Forest Gump and Bubba cleaning the mess hall with toothbrushes. :D

I'm sure I'll be able to flatten the surface some more for the tiles. I'm going with 12" tiles. there are some lumps in the cement, so I might have to either take a grinder to the concrete to level it down, or use lots of set. Unless you have other suggestions. I'll get some pics up when I get done with work. Should be able to get some around 6 or so
Old 02-26-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,224

Do NOT use solvents. Most are dangerous, plus as they dilute the mastic it'll be absorbed into the concrete causing a bond failure. There may be some citrus based or foam based removers out there that will work, but I can't recommend any plus you do not need them. I've only used Concrobium once and it was a qt. size spray. The Home Despot has Concrobium, they may also carry it in gallons. I think they also rent the misting machine for large rooms. Read everything twice. Even so, you still need to address the cause of your damp basement. Sanit-Air has a good reputation for air quality issues and testing. I think they're here in Troy, well Clawson I guess. The floor needs to be flat within 1/4" in 10 ft. and 1/16" in 12" of plane. Grind the high spots if you're close. Use an 8-10 ft. straight edge. Otherwise use smaller tiles. Have fun.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:31 PM   #6
jho

Thanks for all the pointers Jaz. I'll post pics once it's all done

Advertisement