Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2008, 09:02 PM   #1

Share |

re-coloring tile grout

My kitchen floor has that dark slate colored grout that is discolored in places and out dated as the tiles themselves are more tan colored.
I want to update the look and have it cleaner looking. I have read up a lot on the grout re-coloring but am not convinced this is the way to go. My other option is to just clean it up the best I can and reseal it as I do not want to get a drimmel and remove the old grout and redo it. Any suggestions on cleaning or cleaning and re-coloring options?

momoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:33 PM   #2
Tileguy

re-coloring tile grout

Been hearing good things about using those little household steam cleaners to clean and renew tile grout.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:25 AM   #3

re-coloring tile grout

Oxiclean works well to clean it too, or the more potent acid washes. Also there is a product out there called Quartzlock from Starquartz. It's a stain resistant grout made from acrylic urethane and quartz crystal. It not a cement product. This stuff will also stick over top of virtually any old grout, providing a recoloring and stain resistance. The problem with that is you have to have enough depth in the grout line to hold it. You may still have to dig some grout out but you shouldn't have to dig is all the way out this way.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:11 PM   #4
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

re-coloring tile grout

Yep, Oxy and some elbow-grease or steam. I'd stay away from any acids though. While they may do the job, they can be awfully destructive to you, your lungs, the tile/grout, any surrounding metals or kids/pets.
After cleaning if you don't get the desired results, you could try a grout stain. Something similar to this:
http://www.aquamix.com/products/pg_d...5042&pgid=8374

Last edited by angus242; 05-04-2008 at 10:41 PM.
angus242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:57 PM   #5

re-coloring tile grout

you can clean grout with some cleaners-or use a grout blade and scrape out the grout. We have used grout re coloring many times with excelent success. just take your time and stay on the lines.
salesmanger@tomadamswc.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:39 PM   #6

re-coloring tile grout

We use grout stain all the time at my work to either fix a mix up in grout colour, or when we have to go back 10 years later and do a tile replacement and the grout around it now doesn't match the rest, we sometimes have to stain the whole floor. Both TEC and Aquamix make one and they're great. They're an epoxy formula and are guaranteed for 10 years. You could literally turn black grout white if you wanted and it still looks like grout, not like paint on grout. Depending on your colour depth change you may need to do two coats, and one bottle does about 200 s/f one coat, IF you have to get more than one bottle, MAKE SURE the batch number is the same or you could be back in the same situation with grout being different colours. Tip: Our guys prefer to cut off the outer edges of a toothbrush and use that to put it on rather than a paint brush, just cut to slightly smaller than your grout joints.

dochorn is offline   Reply With Quote