Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2011, 11:26 PM   #1

Share |

Raising Tile to Same Height as Hardwood Floor

Hi all I am new here and have question that I hope someone can help me with.

I have a dining room with a 3/4" thick solid oak T&G floor that butts up against a kitchen floor that I am going to lay 18"x18" 3/8" thick tile. My house sub flooring is 1 1/2" thick T&G planks over joist with 5/8" plywood over the planks. A very sturdy floor as far as I am concerned with my limited knowledge.

My question is can I lay my tile with thinset right onto the plywood or do I need hardi backer first? I don't want to use the hardi backer because it will raise the height to high.

If I don't use hardi backer what size trowel do I use? I was thinking 3/8" tile 1/2" trowel with some pressure to set tile will be perfect. Or do I go 3/8" trowel with back buttering tile to achieve the same? Or maybe there is something I am missing? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

bobby1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:40 AM   #2
DIY staff

Avoid setting any ceramic onto wood---the bond is often poor as wood expands and contracts at a different rate than the tile---It can be done but is a chancy installation.

If the 1/4" Backer is not suitable consider Noble TS or Schluter Ditra.

consider using a leveling system with those big tiles as lippage can be a problem.

Tuscan and QEP Lash are two examples.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
Tileguy

I agree with Mike on every point. You should also have us confirm that your joists system is stiff enough for tiles too. Tell us how the framing is built with dimensions.

Regardless whether you go with concrete backer, a Noble membrane or Ditra, (), the 1/2x1/2" trowel is probably the best choice. You shouldn't need to back-butter if you apply the proper amount of mortar on the floor and don't let it skin over, but won't hurt. Remove a just set tile now and then to verify good adhesive transfer.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-28-2011)