Raising Floor In Mudroom 4 Inches And Putting In Tile? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Raising floor in mudroom 4 inches and putting in tile?

We have a mudroom off of our kitchen, on our main floor (above a full-height basement). Ive stripped the old vinyl flooring off the floor in the mudroom, and would like to raise the floor 4 inches to meet the hardwood floor in the kitchen and probably tile. Is there a convenient way to do this without removing the floor completely and raising it from the basement? i.e. can I build some kind of floor structure on top and put down ply? Its a small area, and currently it is chipboard (under the vinyl) laid down over the rafters. Thanks in advance, all!

Advertisement

tasfalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,524

Raising floor in mudroom 4 inches and putting in tile?

Figure total height and then use either 2x3 or ripped down 2x4 that would allow you to match to the pitch of the existing floor, then cover with a subfloor of plywood, then the finished floor. What is the current room height from floor to ceiling at this point in the mudroom?

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flooring , raised floor , subfloor , tile