DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Radient floors under tile

8K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  SNC 
#1 ·
We are in the process of remodeling and adding a new master bath. We will be using marble tile and would like to put down radient floor heat. we are DIY'ers and are also on the "pay as you go out of pocket" plan. Any ideas on an affordable solution? Also, we will be tiling over existing wood fir floors.

#2 ·
There's a product called Warm Step Floor - I think that's what it's called. It's a product that's about 3/32" thick and 12" wide. It can cover up to 64 sf with one control module. It's made out of carbon black which is a self-regulating heat conductor. It's actually really cool how it works. But you can get it preset for whatever temperature you want as a maximum and then the controller takes over from that. It's just an alternative to your standard radiant heat system with boilers or water heaters. No water involved with this. Anyway when i get to work tomorrow I'll get the website so you can get more information.

G
#4 ·
Economy Radiant Floor heat advice

I just designed and installed my own system. I installed tubing in gypcrete upstairs and concrete downstairs. Two zones run off two taco pumps, pump relay and two thermostats feeding 120 F hot water provided from a standard 55 gallon, 42,000 BTU water heater.

The system was far cheaper than any quotes I received and works very well. Non-oxygen barrier PEX is less expensive and may be use in a system without any cast iron or components that will rust. Installing tubing in gypcrete or concrete provides a significant buffer for minor errors in tubing design, length and spacing, and maintains a superior level of comfort. Your feet and sinuses will love it.

Alternatively, placing tubing between floor joists or beams requires higher temperatures (180 F) and is risky business, since wood strength, beam composition and floor glue are degraded by increased temperature over time. Check the specifications with your structural engineer regarding building material temperature ratings, including finished floor coverings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.