Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
DIY Expert in Training!

Share |

radiant heat under laminate...over concrete?

I am planning on installing laminate flooring over my concrete slab in my new office...With it being 15 out the last few weeks I am thinking about installing a radiant flooring system too...Has anyone done this? What companies are good? What should I know?

gone_fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:09 PM   #2

Sounds expensive. How much do you really want this radiant heat. Usually a high quality underlay underneath the laminate will make the office quite comfortable. Just wear a pair of slippers. Radiant heat is nice but pricey. I'm talking about a hot water system. If you live where electricity is cheap. Perhaps looking into the radiant heat electric underlay is an option. It is pricey too but involves quite a bit less labour.

the carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:39 PM   #3

Radiant heat is great ... but there are some issues with installing floating floors over them ... 1 if it is engineered wood you have to watch the temp of the underfloor heating and how fast it comes on at the start of each heating system
2. The underlay should be a special one that distributes the heat evenly and does not insulate the floor from the concrete like the foam and foil ones Our local flooring guys all say this and recommend acoustical underlay
BUT as yet I have not been able to find one that says in it's specs that it is designed just to do this exact thing ..... in fact none of them even mention underfloor heating .... anyone know anything ???
by the way radiant done in your ceiling is even better 60% more efficient than in the floor !!!
Check out the Beka capillary system www.beka-klima.de
Tim
baywicks is offline   Reply With Quote