Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2006, 11:01 PM   #1

Share |

Radiant Heat Floor Suggestions

I live in a building with Radiant Heat in the floors. I wanted to know some suggestions on what type of floor coverings are wise to choose from. Right now there's a crappy vinyl covering. I'm leaning towards tile or carpet, but I wanted to know if there are anythings I should look out for?

uncle_boogaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:27 PM   #2

tile allows heat to transfer the most effectively.

if you go with carpet, then the pad will need to be the best r value.

Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 03:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florcraft View Post
tile allows heat to transfer the most effectively.

if you go with carpet, then the pad will need to be the best r value.
Can you point out some information as far as durability and care for tile? I know I can slide my couch across most carpet but tile I have no idea, especially with the different types.
uncle_boogaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:21 AM   #4

I have just had a polymer overlay done to my in floor heated floor with an acid type stain and epoxy over that. It is very durable and should need no maintenance and last for a very long time.
ricgail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 11:07 AM   #5
renovations

Flor, can you explain why you want a high r-value in the pad? I would have thought you wanted to allow the heat into the room, not insulate it into the substrate. Rich.
Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:22 AM   #6
Not-So-Newbie

I think what he meant was the best being the least R-Value. Also, if padding is used stay away from the thick "Waffle" type and any that are natural rubber compounds. They will break down quickly with the added heat and turn to powder.
Steven62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:21 PM   #7
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY

If your system was actually engineered each zone took into account the r value of the floor (which resists heat transfer), the area of the room, the height of the room (there by volume and load) and the R value of insulation of the room and the E value of the windows and doors (heat loss).

If you change significantly that zone will struggle. You want waffle or solid rubber padding for carpets with LOW R value. check www.sponge-cushion.com or http://www.foamex.com
re-bond pad will work also if the budget is tighter. The carpet itself has r-value. The carpet stores wont usually know this... there is a ballpark figure like r/sq inch just google it.

wood floors can be used. Engineered wood moves less so is a safer bet, Skinnier planks are better than wide and you want to check the temp that zone is designed to run at... I think maybe 80 or 90 degrees is the max you want to run under wood.

My entire house system runs at these temps, even with carpet... but I used aluminum heat transfer plates and a lot of tubing to do this. I have seem systems running practically boiling water at the start with one long run LOL, half the house you couldnt stand on the tile and the other have was freezing. People shortcut the engineering and think "I have hydronic heating." It is nice when it's right, I love ours, but I'd take good old baseboard anyday over an improperly designed radiant system.

crecore is offline   Reply With Quote