Radiant Floor Pads - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2011, 02:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 280

Radiant Floor Pads

Looking at getting a couple of pads and putting them in our bathroom and the basement bathroom. We plan to put cermaic tile in the bathrooms.

Been looking at a couple different brands. Has anybody ever used any of these? What brand did you use?
Pros? Cons?

Advertisement

logluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:49 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

Radiant Floor Pads

You are the second person here today to ask about radiant floor heating under tile but haven't offered the name of the product you are considering. How can anyone help you without knowing what you are thinking and what products you are wanting to use?

Advertisement

Old 07-31-2011, 03:00 PM   #3

Radiant Floor Pads

Sorry Bud.
Nuheat was the one I liked the most. More like a mat then a mesh of wires.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
Tileguy

Radiant Floor Pads

I can tell you they work very well. I have installed scores of those things without any issues or customer complaints. I have used a few different brands including Nuheat but several years ago I settled on SunTouch but couldn't tell you why. The SunTouch offers a cost effective T-stat but they also offer a higher priced programmable T-stat, I'm sure they all have the same thing.

Once the system is installed it must be covered with either thinset or Self Levelling Compound to create the necessary thermal-mass required. I would strongly advise against the thinset method and strongly urge the SLC method.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:16 PM   #5

Radiant Floor Pads

Was the thinset method cracking or not allowing the heat to go through? Just curious.

Now will we be able to do the SLC on our wood subfloor? We plan to put 1/4" plywood over the subfloor before we put any flooring down.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
Tileguy

Radiant Floor Pads

Quote:
Was the thinset method cracking or not allowing the heat to go through? Just curious.
It is IMPOSSIBLE to trowel sticky thinset over those mats and wires and end with a surface suitable enough to properly install ceramic tile. You can't get the thinset under and around the mats and wires without voids, and voids aren't good for creating a thermal-mass.

Quote:
Now will we be able to do the SLC on our wood subfloor?
Absolutely.

Quote:
We plan to put 1/4" plywood over the subfloor before we put any flooring down.
Bad idea!!! Why would you do that?
No 1/4" plywood material is to be used in the installation of any ceramic tile anywhere in the floor system according to the industry standards.

Here's a little more information about Self Leveller installation, there are two parts.

http://www.diychatroom.com/blogs/ins...t-one-two-177/
Old 07-31-2011, 03:38 PM   #7

Radiant Floor Pads

Thanks Bud.

We were thinking about laying down an extra layer on the subfloor just in case the day ever came that we had to tear up the floor tile. I would hate to destroy our subfloor, but I guess that would just be unavoidable.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:50 PM   #8

Radiant Floor Pads

Just wondering after reading your blog about the SLC, would we put the mat down first, then pour or pour first then lay the mat down?
Old 07-31-2011, 03:57 PM   #9
Tileguy

Radiant Floor Pads

The mat is buried in the SLC. You install the mat first then pour the SLC. The SLC is your "thermal-mass" that is required to distribute the heat evenly.

If you want to install a sacrificial layer of plywood then use a minimum of 3/8" plywood. It is the 1/4" that the industry deems "not useable".
Old 07-31-2011, 04:25 PM   #10

Radiant Floor Pads

Thanks Bud.

Figured it is better to ask questions now rather then later in the middle of the project.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:53 PM   #11

Radiant Floor Pads

Got another question Bud.

I was looking at doing the basement bathroom this winter with the Nuheat pad and SLC.
My question is this.
Since the tub will be on the concrete will the SLC heat enough under the tub to help keep it warm ?
Should I get a mat that extends under the tub or just to the edge of it?

Our current tub is freezing cold in winter so it is maily showers instead of baths, cannot keep the water warm for long.

I haven't bought the mat yet so I'm asking all my questions now.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #12
Tileguy

Radiant Floor Pads

Jheeezh ! Where you been? I went to the Obituaries looking for you and neither one of us were there so I took that as a good sign.

Quote:
Since the tub will be on the concrete will the SLC heat enough under the tub to help keep it warm ?
Nope! The wire systems and wire-mat systems project heat only about 1-1/2" on either side of any given wire placement. This is why (typically) the wires are placed three inches apart. The wires should also not be placed within 1-1/2" of any object or wall or within four inches of any toilet fixture base.

Quote:
Should I get a mat that extends under the tub or just to the edge of it?
You should estimate your mat size and placement to be used in only open floor space areas. Manufacturers recommend against allowing mats to extend under cabinets or any other floor fixture. The one exception would be they can extend into a "knee-hole" type opening that is technically under a cabinet.

Quote:
Our current tub is freezing cold in winter so it is maily showers instead of baths, cannot keep the water warm for long.
Yow I understand and that's a bummer. Especially with a cast iron tub. I wonder if there are any manufacturers offering a "tub heater" appliance for just such applications. I don't know of any.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #13

Radiant Floor Pads

Thanks Bud.

My old computor was crashing I was spending hours trying to save all my files.
Got my new one up and running and spent hours downloading everything.

So now I can come on again.

Advertisement