Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Quick question with cement board and underlayment

Hey All,

First post, but I've been brought to the site multiple times from google searches on miscellaneous things.

I'm in the process of preparing to do my first tile job. It's a very small bathroom that previously had two layers of peel and stick tile.

I removed both layers of the peel and stick, leaving me with the 1/4" Luan underlayment, and the subfloor which is 3/4" on top of 1/2" plywood.

First step, the Luan has to go. From there, I'll put down a layer of thin set followed by the cement board of course. However, I'm hesitant to put the thin set directly on the subfloor (in the case that I ever need to remove it I don't wanna have to hack at the subfloor).

So my question is, can I put down a layer of 1/4" underlayment plywood on top of the subfloor (again it is 1/2" & 3/4" stacked) followed by the thin set and cement board? Therefore, if I (or the future owners waayy down the road) need to remove it, the 1/4" would just need to come up, leaving the subfloor clean.

Thanks!!

supastar1568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,128

Quote:
can I put down a layer of 1/4" underlayment plywood
No. It is specifically excluded from approved products to use in a ceramic tile installation.

The subfloor will be cleanable in the future.

Never heard of anyone installing a new tile floor with the anticipation of removing it.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:17 AM   #3
Retired carpenter

Rewards Points: 250

I think that Bud understood that you wanted to use 1/4 plywood instead of cement board. I say go ahead if you want to. With or without that third layer of plywood, you are going to apply thin set on plywood under cement board.
abracaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:58 AM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,108

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracaboom View Post
I think that Bud understood that you wanted to use 1/4 plywood instead of cement board. I say go ahead if you want to. With or without that third layer of plywood, you are going to apply thin set on plywood under cement board.
No, Bud meant what he posted. 1/4" plywood is not approved to use under ceramic. It has nothing to do with the cement board.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:25 AM   #5

Yes, my question was to whether or not I can use 1/4" plywood in addition to the cement backer board.

Sounds like the best thing to do is go without the 1/4" plywood and directly use the cement board over the 3/4" subfloor.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,128

Quote:
Yes, my question was to whether or not I can use 1/4" plywood in addition to the cement backer board.

Sounds like the best thing to do is go without the 1/4" plywood and directly use the cement board over the 3/4" subfloor.
Bud understood the question and offered a response to the question that is consistent with the industry standards.

Quote:
And Bud says that is some very bad advice. Please don't do that.

Okay folks...This 1/4" plywood information is here many times but I'll repeat it again for the benefit of those that can't seem to remember or can't find the search button.

Plywood of 1/4" thickness IS NOT recommended for use anywhere in a ceramic tile or stone tile installation.
Plywood of 1/4" thickness has been tested repeatedly for use in this manner and it has failed repeatedly.
Plywood of this thickness is most readily available in only a poor-quality underlayment products not suitable for use with installations requiring moisture-laden adhesives.
Plywood of this thickness does not contain a sufficient-enough number of plies to make it satisfactory in this type of application.
rusty baker (01-04-2012)
Old 01-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #7

Cement board directly on top of the 3/4" subfloor it is.

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to supastar1568 For This Useful Post:
Bud Cline (01-04-2012)
Old 01-05-2012, 05:03 AM   #8
Retired carpenter

Rewards Points: 250

Sorry, Bud. Thanks for clarifying something I didn't know.

abracaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to abracaboom For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-05-2012)