Questions About Subfloor - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2010, 10:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Questions about subfloor

Hi, everyone!

I have some questions about subfloor installation:

1) Every reference I have seen says "subfloor must cover at least two spans." If a 16" panel is supported only by two joists 16" on center, is that two spans (two joist spans), or one span (one gap span)?

1a) If a panel must touch three joists, does it count if one of the three joists is not the full width? Most of my joists are 16" O.C., but the last joist is just 11" to the wall. Can I use a piece of subfloor that spans the 26" instead of 32"?

2) The recommended installation method for subfloor is to use adhesive on the joists. I am using steel framing. Do I ignore this, use the same adhesive, or is there a special adhesive?

Thanks!

-cwm9

Advertisement

cwm9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Questions about subfloor

I am a bit confused by your questions. Perhaps a better description of what you are doing would help. Is this an addition?? Steel joists????

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:40 PM   #3

Questions about subfloor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
I am a bit confused by your questions. Perhaps a better description of what you are doing would help. Is this an addition?? Steel joists????
No, this is new house construction using light guage steel.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,252

Questions about subfloor

Hi 9,

1. The requirement is that any section of subfloor lay on 2 spans, which means 3 joists. Can't have 2 spans with only 2 joists. The reason of course is that there will be a large amount of curvature in the panel without a center support.

1a. Yes, that's fine. You still have 3 joists and the span is less so it's stronger. Just make sure the plywood subfloor is laid with the face grain across the joists as always. This sounds like the subfloor will be cut up or repaired. If so, you may need to install an underlayment. What are you installing as the finished covering?

2. Steel joists?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:10 PM   #5

Questions about subfloor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Hi 9,

2. Steel joists?

Jaz

Yes. I'm not sure why this is surprising? Example: http://blueskyhomes.files.wordpress....3/dsc_0016.jpg