Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2009, 07:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Questions About Laminate Flooring

We already have three rooms with Pergo laminate flooring and we really like it. Now, we want to tear out the carpeting in our family room and put laminate in there. With 3 grandkids, two cats and other traffic, the carpeting is just getting to look terrible. The family room used to be an attached one car garage. About 6 years ago, we decided to convert it to living space what with grandkids coming and not much room. On the cement floor, our contractor put down some sort of corrugated plastic or composite and then installed 3/4 inch plywood over that so the floor would stay warm during the winter. If we put down laminate in there would we need to put a vapor barrier down or is the way it is sufficient? With the carpeting, we never had any problem with cold radiating up from below or any moisture coming up, either.
Also, the laminate we are looking at is sold at Sams Club and I understand it's made by Pergo and it has the foam backing already on it for sound insulation. And I think it would also add to the floor staying warmer in winter.

OldManJim62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:53 AM   #2
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 512

The foam back will provide your insulation and sound dampening. I'd still lay down a layer of plastic as a moisture barrier. Be careful buying this sort of thing from Sam's Club. If it's less than a 7mm product, don't buy it.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

yea, the cheap stuff at Sam's may or may not perform as you like.
I believe it is a Quickstep product but not made the same as their normal products...

yes, use a foam with moisture barrier.
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppameth View Post
The foam back will provide your insulation and sound dampening. I'd still lay down a layer of plastic as a moisture barrier. Be careful buying this sort of thing from Sam's Club. If it's less than a 7mm product, don't buy it.
The flooring at Sams is 8mm with a 2mm foam backing for 10mm total. Yesterday, I took a leftover piece of our Pergo to Sams to compare it with what they have and it looked nearly indentical. The surface texture on the Sams product had a more natural wood feel to it. Like a real woodgrain feel. We just might wait till next spring before we do this, though and, it will give us more time to think. To add, the Pergo we have down now, is also 8mm.

Last edited by OldManJim62; 09-16-2009 at 09:53 PM. Reason: add to message
Old 09-17-2009, 06:00 AM   #5
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 512

It sound like they probably bought up a discontinued pattern of a decent piece of laminate instead of buy a bunch of junk this time. You'll probably be fine with that product.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:13 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManJim62 View Post
The flooring at Sams is 8mm with a 2mm foam backing for 10mm total. Yesterday, I took a leftover piece of our Pergo to Sams to compare it with what they have and it looked nearly indentical. The surface texture on the Sams product had a more natural wood feel to it. Like a real woodgrain feel. We just might wait till next spring before we do this, though and, it will give us more time to think. To add, the Pergo we have down now, is also 8mm.
Unfortunately it takes more than looks, feel, and thickness to determine quality.
But if your just looking for something close in looks, then your good.
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:56 AM   #7

It's been a year since I first began this thread so, I thought I'd give it a bump. Of course, You all read my original post. It's a year later and we're finally going to put the laminate down in our family room. So again, I ask, is a vapor barrier necessary. It's a concrete base(former garage floor) with some sort of semi rigid plastic with a honeycomb texture(comes in a roll) on top of that, followed by 3/4 in. plywood. As I posted before, we've never had a problem with moisture seeping up into the carpeting in the 7 yrs it's been down, same with cold radiating up. I don't want to waste my time putting a vapor down if it's not necessary. At the same time, I don't want to make a mistake and not put it down, then trouble begins. Thanks for any answers.

I just found another thread on the forum where someone wants to use a product called Platon. I believe this the honeycomb textured product that's underneath the plywood in the room I was referring to. Or else it's a similar product. Looking at pictures of it, it looks nearly the same. If so, then maybe I won't need a vapor barrier afterall.

Last edited by OldManJim62; 09-22-2010 at 01:14 PM. Reason: added content
Old 09-23-2010, 01:33 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

The best thing you can do is a calcium chloride moisture test on the concrete , People don't know how important this is , If you don't do it and the flloor emits too much moisture ,It will ruin your whole job
tacomahardwoodfloors.com
tacomahardwood. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:47 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

It sounds like you already have a vapor barrier in place with the "Platon" product that was laid down previous to the carpet being laid. I would take a close look at it, do a little research, and determine if it is in fact designed to be a vapor barrier, or just simply a material that levels/eliminates voids under the plywood. If it is a vapor barrier, what you don't want to do is lay down a layer of plastic on top of the plywood, that would trap moisture between the two layers. The 2mm backing built into the laminate flooring is more than sufficient, you can lay it directly on top of the plywood.

The laminate you are referring to at Sam's is the "Living Laminate" brand, and it is made by Pergo. It is good quality for laminate flooring, and a good price, 8mm thickness with a 2mm underlayment attached. It is not the "cheap stuff", or "dicontinued pattern", it is much better quality than the sale laminates you see at the box stores. I've laid several thousand sq feet of it, and have been very happy with the quality, finish and durability of the product. Just my take on things.

littlecleo is offline   Reply With Quote