A Question For The Tile Pros. - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 354

A question for the tile pros.

I just removed about 300 square feet of vinyl flooring from a concrete slab that I plan to tile with 12" ceramic. About half the area is clean down to the concrete. The other half still has linoleum adhesive on the concrete. I scraped for most of the day but it is not coming off. I poured about a half inch of soapy water over the whole floor and let it soak over night. The next day I vacuumed the water away and went back at it with the scraper. No luck. I tried a gallon of Krud Kutter. No luck.
If the adhesive won't come off is it safe to tile over it? I'm assuming that if it won't come off with a razor scraper, water and soap it should be ok. I'm using modified thinset.

Advertisement

Davejss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 620

I'm surprised that Oh'Mike hasn't responded yet. He seems to answer all the questions about encapsulating it in a floor leveler, etc.

You might want to contact laticrete or mapei and ask their technical support. Be sure to tell them about all the chemicals you tried first, and don't try any more until you talk to them.

Common sense would tell us that if you can't remove it, it can be bonded to.

Advertisement

cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Can you show us the scraper you used?
Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,236

I would 100% check with the manufacturer of the thinset you are going to use and don't be surprised if they say no.

Do you have access to a steel shot blaster or floor grinder? They would profile that surface and make quick work of the adhesive.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
Davejss (04-10-2013)
Old 04-10-2013, 05:53 AM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,182

Good morning!

You shouldn't have used the Krud Cutter---that may have soaked into the concrete and made the concrete difficult to bond to------

Many thin sets will bond to old adhesive---Kerabond mixed with Keralastic will---At this point I would suggest you call Mepei or Latacrete and ask what they recommend-----
Davejss (04-10-2013)
Old 04-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 354

I mixed a small batch of thinset and set two test tiles on the floor. I'll leave them alone for a few days and check for adhesion. If they stick well I'll assume they're ok. That was the advice from the thinset company.
Thanks for the replys.
Davejss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #7
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,182

You will, very likely, be fine--the old adhesive probably kept the solvent from soaking into the concrete-----------
Old 04-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #8
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike
At this point I would suggest you call Mepei or Latacrete and ask what they recommend-----
After that also call Mapei & Laticrete. (sorry, I couldn't resist.

Chances are Mike is right, but...... You mentioned the scraper didn't work but didn't reply what kind of scraper you used. You are supposed to use a razor scraper, not a scraper. Please clarify cuz I can't imagine a razor not doing the job.

I'm not clear on the type of flooring you had and therefore the specific type of adhesive. You may not be able to answer about the adhesive, but was the flooring sheet vinyl? What's the color of the adhesive?

Some thinset manufacturers say their mortar can work over a film of "tacky" adhesive, such as cutback, while others (Tec) specifically say not to use over a film of tacky adhesive. Either way use no solvents and cut the adhesive off with a razor scraper to leave only a film. In other words, until you see concrete.

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-11-2013)