Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2010, 01:45 PM   #1

Share |

Question Re: Grouting - "striking the joint" in "dry grouting" - article by Gobis

Does anyone understand what it means to "strike" the joint? I have 1/8" grout lines - so I guess I'd have to use the popsicle stick - do you stick it in the joint & push the grout down? That doesn't seem correct - if only because there should be instructions on what to do in the places where you didn't get the grout compressed down enough to begin with (regrout?). Or are you taking the rounded end of the popsicle stick & just running it along the joint?

Edit: I decided it was the latter: taking the rounded end of the popsicle stick & just running it along the joint. It seems to work pretty well. Most important seems to be finding something that doesn't go too deep into the grout. I followed by quickly running my finger along the grout to smooth it out nicely after the popsicle stick.

http://www.tiledealer.org/archives/2...erupdate.shtml
David Gobis, The Ins and Outs of Grout
"One method I use is called dry grouting. In this method once the grout has had a time to reach an initial set, meaning your finger can no longer compress the joint, it is time to begin cleanup. The first step is to “strike” the joint with an appropriate radius piece of wood. I have used everything from a closet pole to a Popsicle stick. This compacts the grout into a denser joint and leaves a perfectly uniform joint depth. Next, use a broom to lightly remove the excess material. Now you are ready to remove the remaining haze using either cheesecloth or my favorite, burlap. Using this method when possible results in uniform color and joint depth. It is also faster, easier, and better than sponge methods. There is no “final cleanup”. "

Last edited by lazzlazz; 05-05-2010 at 02:38 PM.
lazzlazz is offline   Reply With Quote