Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2006, 04:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Question on installing floating hardwood floor

Newbie here!

We were lucky enough to get about 400sq ft of flooring today. It's about 2yo, tongue & groove, Award brand oak floor. They pulled it out and replaced with carpet! It looks like it came out well, some glue in grooves, many full pieces and some cut.

We're hoping to put it into our kitchen/dining room. Size should be about right though it'll be a bit of a puzzle to find the best fit. We plan to lay it out and mark where the shorter pieces go before we do anything permanent. Right now the floor is linloleum, level except for the entry from the den, no doors to worry about. I'm sure the walls are not square. It's an old house that's been moved twice and added onto.

Where do we start? Do we need to tear up the floor or can we go over the top? Any special problems to look out for when reusing a floor?

Thanks!

loragail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:14 PM   #2

what kind of sub floor do you have?

dozu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:57 PM   #3

It's a wood plank floor. Full basement underneath with suspended ceiling and I can see the planks. Pretty solid old house even though it's been moved. I'm sure there is a beautiful floor under the carpet in the den that would match the stairs but there is a linoleum(?) type layer glued to it. While I'd love to try and fix that floor we're probably moving in the next 6 months so the fix-up work needs to stay fairly easy and low budget.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:07 AM   #4

I'd go right over the top as long as it's in descent condition and flat. Then I'd put down a cork underlayment and lay your flooring on top. I'd start on the longest straightest wall. Good luck.
DWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:20 AM   #5
Master Craftsman

Rewards Points: 250

Since it is a wood plank floor you need to go perpendicular to those boards. If you don't you will get a rolling effect and possible gapping down the road if not immediatly.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:48 AM   #6

Thanks for the answers. I didn't think it mattered so much with a floating floor but was going to lay the new floor with the boards going the length of the room which would be perp to the planks. It's a nearly square room (22x20) but the bar & cabinets seperate the kitchen from the dining room so it "feels" like a rectangle. I think it'll look better with the boards running with the length of the room.

Glad to hear I can leave the linoleum down. I was not looking forward to ripping it up. Now I've just got to make a trip to town for supplies. I'm so excited! There is no way we could afford to buy this type of floor. I can't believe we found it for free!!!
Old 10-23-2006, 09:50 AM   #7
Master Craftsman

Rewards Points: 250

Sorry, I forgot it was a floating floor but still none the less I would at least lay a straight edge across the floor to see just how flat it is before taking off with it.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:06 AM   #8

We'll be laying the whole thing out before doing anything permanent. I love puzzles but dh is not so excited. LOL I'm 90% sure we have more than enough to do the room but it will depend on how it fits together. Most of the pieces are whole with some shorter and a few around 3ft long. I can't wait to lay it down and see if it fits!