Question On House With No Joists - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2015, 03:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Question

Question on House with no joists

Hi,

Im new to this forum and had a question regarding a subfloor on a house from the 1940s in Los Angeles. As I was removing a decayed subfloor, I discovered that the house has not joists. The only thing that is supporting the house is a raised concrete foundation and girders that run approximately four feet apart and right on top of them is the subfloor that rests on top of the sill plate. The subfloor was a 1 1/2 inch tongue and groove 2 by 6 pine planks. I was planning on having two layers 3/4 inch sheets of plywood to replace the subfloor. I have two questions:
1) Will this be enough to provide proper support for the marble tile that i will install or will i have to re-inforce it?(There is a four foot span between the girders and no joists)
2) Because i can't add joists like conventional houses ,can i nail joists on the side face of the girders using simpson fasteners to provide more support and does this violate building codes?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks for reading

Advertisement

elnino_ela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:57 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,706

If you connect the girders with a lateral joist system, that will give you enough support for marble tile as long as the girders are properly supported along their length.
How large are the girders and how far apart are they supported?

Advertisement

Ron6519 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:54 PM   #3

Wink

Hi,

The girders are supported about every six feet apart with posts and they are 4 by 6 inches in thickness. I will add pictures soon . Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to elnino_ela For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-20-2015)
Old 07-28-2015, 02:58 AM   #4

Question

Hi, I wanted to know how i could attach joists to reinforce a subfloor. This is a house from the 1940's and used to have 1 1/2 inch tongue and groove subfloor. The problem is that it only had 2 joists and a huge 48 inch span from a girder to the outside foundation and no support. I removed all of the rotted wood, and i now want to add joists. Here is the problem. The house does not have a rim joist to attach the joists. I attached a photo below. The only solution i might be able to use is to use a simpson top flange joist hanger and nail it to the sill plate. I plan on adding these every 16 inches and connect these joists to a perpendicular beam 48 inches away. What would be a reasonable solution to this problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Question on House with no joists-question.jpg  

Tags
flooring , joists