A Question For Carpet Installers About Our New Carpet - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2008, 06:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

A question for carpet installers about our new carpet

We had our new carpet installed a few weeks ago. Good carpet, good padding. Now the fuzz and threads are surfacing like crazy. The installers said to expect this for a little while. We've already clogged 2 vacuum cleaners. I've taken apart these vacuums, but I can't seem to get all of the fuzz/threads out. To prevent from clogging a third, I've been using a carpet rake. Although it's gathering some of the loose threads, it's not getting up the dirt. I don't want to ruin another vacuum. Any ideas of what else I should use? A shop vac?

Advertisement

proofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:18 PM   #2

A lot of carpet is like that now. It's because the threads are double stapled and the tops are trimmed off. This leads to shedding for several vacuum cycles. You are actually seeing less than 1% of the fiber come out of it (unless something is wrong with the carpet) The only way to avoid it is to choose a carpet made with a continuous filament fiber, usually labeled as such or tagged as BCF nylon or polyester. At this point all you can do is vacuum and clear the collection unit frequently.

Advertisement

Old 08-06-2008, 08:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Proofer:

Does your vaccuum cleaner not have paper filter bags to catch the loose carpet fibers in? If not, then I think you should switch vaccuum cleaners with a friend or relative until your carpet stops shedding. You need a vaccuum cleaner with an agitating brush which will help lift out any loose fibers into the vaccuum cleaner. But, you need a vaccuum cleaner which uses a paper filter bag to catch those loose fibers.

The shedding won't last long, but it is a nuisance.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 08-06-2008 at 08:06 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:21 PM   #4

Our 2 vacuum cleaners do have a paper filter bag, but the fibers don't seem to really make it into the bag for some reason. It's getting clogged up somewhere, the sound gets really loud, and then it spits out big clumps onto the floor.

Right before we got the new carpet installed, we got rid of our old vacuum cleaners. So now we have 2 new vacuum cleaners, of course not thinking about this multitude of fibers that we'd have to contend with. Both new vacuum cleaners are completely clogged somewhere, but the bags aren't the problem.

Sure wish we would have hung onto those old vacuums a bit longer.......
Old 08-06-2008, 10:01 PM   #5

Well if your new carpet is only a few weeks old, and you bought the vaccuum cleaners after the carpet, then your new vaccuum cleaners should still be under warranty.

I really can't see any good reason why a new vaccuum cleaner isn't able to properly vaccuum up loose carpet fibers. Those fibers should be going into the vaccuum cleaner filter bag with all the rest of the dirt from your carpet.

I understand your frustration with the carpet, but it ought to be with the vaccuum cleaners instead. Your two new vaccuum cleaners just aren't working properly. The way you describe them getting really loud and then spitting out a clump of carpet fiber proves those carpet fibers aren't being collected in the filter bag as they should be.

I'd take the vaccuum cleaners back where you bought them and ask the store to check that the bag is properly installed. If so, ask why the vaccuum cleaner isn't working properly. Ask why the carpet fibers clump together and get spit out every so often instead of being collected inside the filter bag.

Maybe vaccuum up carpet fiber with both machines until they get really loud and take them down to the store before they spit out a clump of carpet fiber. That will help the store diagnose the problem based on where the carpet fibers are collecting.

Tell the store you bought the vaccuum cleaners in anticipation of the shedding fibers, and if these vaccuum cleaners can't do that job, you either want your money back or two new vaccuum cleaners that can.

I my humble view, the problem lies with your vaccuum cleaners, not with the carpet. At least, so far, the carpet is doing what it was expected to do, and the vaccuum cleaners aren't.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 08-06-2008 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:01 AM   #6

It isn't necessarily the vacuum. I've had similar issues with every vacuum we use on new carpet. The fibers build up a static charge as they move and tend to bunch together. I've seen several clogs in the brush and tube areas that have to be manually removed. Usually when we install a carpet we'll vacuum it once before we leave as a courtesy. I can't say that all installers do the same.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:23 AM   #7

We bought these vacuum cleaners online. I did some Consumer Reports-type investigating and found these to be good vacuums. Then, I went online to get the best deal since I was buying 2 of them.

I don't think it's the fault of the vacuums either. Besides, it's my fault for using these 2 new vacuums on these loose fibers. I just wish I can find where the darn fibers are going in this vacuum, because they're sure not going in the bag. You wouldn't believe the white powdery dust congregating around the front and sides near the floor of these vacuums.

The installers did a once-over vacuum of all the rooms before they left. In fact, they had to empty the vacuum as well. But they did warn that I would have to empty the vacuum a few times myself. Having 2 new vacuums, I thought I'd be in good shape. Bzzzzzzzz.......

I wonder if a shop vac is the route to go until these loose fibers are up? I can't use the vacuums any longer. And, the rake, although it does round up some fibers, it doesn't actually clean the carpet, which I need at this point.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:10 AM   #8

Proofer:

Even if you bought the vaccuum cleaners online, every vaccuum cleaner company will have factory authorized service depots where you can get warranty or post-warranty service work done on your machine.

You're now saying that there's a white powdery dust coming out of these vaccuum cleaners. That is clearly a sign that something very wrong is happening inside those machines.

You could go to the web site of the company who make your vaccuum cleaners and find out who the factory authorized service depot in your area is. Take your vaccuum cleaners down to that factory authorized service depot and see if they can determine why the vaccuum cleaners aren't collecting the shedding fibers.

I once moved into an apartment with a new carpet that shedded and my vaccuum cleaner didn't have a problem collecting the loose fibers.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 08-07-2008 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:31 PM   #9

It was my fault for using new vacuums in the first place. But when the first vacuum clogged up and threw out clumps of fiber, I figured it was a defective vacuum. But when I tried out the second new vacuum and ran into the same problem, maybe I should check out a service depot to see if they know what the problem could be. It could be as simple as the bag's placement inside the cannister, or the brushes that pull in the loose fibers, etc. After thinking about it (I'm at work and can't look at the exact material that I'm trying to describe), instead of the white powdery dust that I described, it's more of a spun fiber (almost like white hair) that's accumulating at the front and sides at the floor level of the vacuums.

If and when I ever get this issue solved, I will definitely post back---just in case anyone else ever runs into this same problem. It's quite aggravating to have 2 vacuums running loud (kind of scared to have them running!), which throw out clumps of fiber.

What about using a shop vac? I hate to buy another vacuum in the midst of having this problem. And who knows where our vacuums' paperwork is to locate a service depot (we're in the midst of renovating our house). All I really care about right now is getting the fibers/dirt off this carpet before it gets worse.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:22 PM   #10

In order to get those fibers out of your carpet, you need an agitating brush to vibrate the fibers and the suction sucks out the loose ones. A Shop Vac doesn't have a rotating brush. You could try, but I doubt you'd get much out of the carpet with a Shop Vac. A Shop Vac is really meant for hard floors, not carpets.

"...maybe I should check out a service depot to see if they know what the problem could be."

Sounds like a great idea to me.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:24 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 25

You probably bought a stapled nylon or a polyester fiber carpet

That's your problem right there
looks great new and on the sample
pills, fuzzes and sheds like crazy

this is why I try to only sell BCF nylon from stainmaster
never an issue
never an angry customer