Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Question about the Tile I am using.

Hello I'm doing a downstairs bathroom/laundry room remodel and replacing the floors in the kitchen. My bathroom and laundry room together are roughly 55 square feet and the kitchen is around 88 square feet. Originally I was thinking of doing 18x18in tiles in both rooms but I taped off what 18's would look like in the bathroom and I wasn't sure if the big tiles would make the room look smaller, What do you think, will it make the room look smaller?

I taped off 18" in the kitchen too:

Here is a 12" and a 18" for comparison. (I'm not using the bottom tile because it doesn't have the finish I like I just picked it up for size reference.)

So I was thinking of doing the 18" tile in the kitchen and 12" in the bathroom of the same tile(the top one). Is this too matchy-matchy to use the same tile in the two rooms? Another thing is, my mom thinks that I should do a 12" tile in both rooms just to make it look more consistent, but im afraid the 12" will look too busy in the kitchen.

So I guess im looking for second opinions:
-18" for both rooms,
-13" for both rooms,
-18" for kitchen & 13" for bathroom using same tiles,
-or 18" for kitchen & 13" for bathroom using different tiles?
We are ultimately looking to rent/sell the condo so I need to know what people's opinions are on this. Thank you so much for reading!

Jeanene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

I am by no means a designer, but I do think the 18" tiles are too big for the bathroom. I would think 18 in the kitchen and matching 12 in the bath or 12 in both would be fine...

TReally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,002

Jeanene,
I don't think the 12 or 13" tiles would look too busy in your kitchen or bath. I do a lot of kitchens with tile this size and the customers are always happy. I am not a overly big tile fan. The 12 or 13" tiles are a little more forgiving than the 18's when installing. It really depends what you like. If you have a good tile center nearby with a bunch of different displays, take a ride over and look around.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote