Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2011, 06:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Question about staining hardwood.

Hey everyone,

Just curious is anyone has ever stained hardwood that is in rough shape?

We recently started renovating a room in our old house and we pulled up the carpet and found tongue and groove hardwood (unsure of the species). It's super rough looking with dents and gaps and some paint drips but it acutally looks pretty cool. Wondering if I could stain it a darker shade and have it take.

Any info would be appreciated.

Pics if interested...

Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:43 AM   #2
the Musigician

Stain will not penetrate old finishes, so the floor would need to be completely stripped and prepped first.

DM

Old 03-10-2011, 07:00 AM   #3
Coatings Nerd

Rustic flooring is the "in" thing. Sand the finish, and paint drips off. Leave the dents and dings. Stain over that, the dents and deeper scratches will take the stain darker, but thats the idea with the "rustic" look.
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:10 AM   #4

excellent!

Any pro tips for what type of stain to use and the method in which to apply it? I've stained furniture but never floors. I'd like to keep the stink to a minimum for my little guy's sake...I love the fumes though.
Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:47 AM   #5
Coatings Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
excellent!

Any pro tips for what type of stain to use and the method in which to apply it? I've stained furniture but never floors. I'd like to keep the stink to a minimum for my little guy's sake...I love the fumes though.
I like Old Masters stains. They have everything from Penetrating, Wiping, and Gel Stain, and they're oil based. The best method to apply will most likely be determined by you, and the look you want. I would probably go with brush it on, and wipe it off with a rag.

As far as stink.....it does. Get the little guy out of the house for 24hrs or so. Its a good time to visit grandparents, or have a sleepover at a friends/neighbors. Either way, you want to get him away from the fumes while the product is drying.

Solvent odors are heavier than air, so remember the pets too. By the time we ( standing up ) are smelling the odor, its already much heavier closer to the floor, where the pets are
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote