Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #1

Share |

Quarter round and mold issues with laminate floor

A couple quick questions. I'm about to install a laminate floor with padding attached on a basement concrete sub floor. No issues with water in the basement. But I'm worried about putting down a moisture barrier, which will prohibit the concrete from breathing, or so I figure, and could lead to a layer of mold between the concrete and plastic sheet. Should I clean the floor with bleach? Or use an underlay that they sell at Home Depot that's supposed to enable air to flow between the sheet and concrete? (Roberts AirGuard 100 sq. ft., 3.34 ft. x 30 ft. X .25 in. thick, Premium 3-in-1 Underlayment for Laminate Floors) Any other strategies?

And two, I was planning on the leaving the base boards on and using quarter round to cover the quarter-inch gap. Okay to do that, or do I need to take the base boards off?

gwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwill View Post
A couple quick questions. I'm about to install a laminate floor with padding attached on a basement concrete sub floor. No issues with water in the basement. But I'm worried about putting down a moisture barrier, which will prohibit the concrete from breathing, or so I figure, and could lead to a layer of mold between the concrete and plastic sheet. Should I clean the floor with bleach? Or use an underlay that they sell at Home Depot that's supposed to enable air to flow between the sheet and concrete? (Roberts AirGuard 100 sq. ft., 3.34 ft. x 30 ft. X .25 in. thick, Premium 3-in-1 Underlayment for Laminate Floors) Any other strategies?

And two, I was planning on the leaving the base boards on and using quarter round to cover the quarter-inch gap. Okay to do that, or do I need to take the base boards off?
gwill,

I would not use an underlayment (other than a plastic film) with a product that has an attached pad. This will cause too much joint deflection.

You can leave the baseboard on and add a quarter round.

Best,

of2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #3

thanks. any ideas about how to prevent a potential mold issue with the plastic underlay and concrete floor? or is that not a legitimate concern?
Old 09-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #4

i would follow the manufacturers installation instructions on what to put under the floor. if you have small base it will look even smaller after the height of the laminate and the shoe molding will make it look a lot shorter then it really is.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #5

Hi Danny,

Thanks. The plastic moisture barrier is the recommendation. Any reason I should be worried about mold? I cant help but think the floor won't be able to breath. Anyone have any ideas? Or can tell me if my concerns are misplaced?