Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2008, 11:58 AM   #1

Share |

Quarter Round for hardwoods - White or match the floor?

Hi All,

First post here. I've tried to find the answer by searching, and found references to posts that discuss quarter rounds and their installation, but not the astehtics (other than those who do not like quarter round). I don't mind it, but at this point it is what it is as there are gaps and quarter round is needed.

We have some BR111 engineered Tigerwood. We initially were thinking of ordering the matching round, but it was going to be extremely expensive, given that is just 1/4 round. It was going to be nearly a 3rd the cost of the wood itself, somewhere in the area of $600. So we thought of using real wood rounds instead and trying to stain to match. Very, very tough. This wood is photosensitive so there is a ton of variation already with some areas being a rich redder color that have had more sunlight. It flows nicely through the house but for trying to match with a stain, it is very difficult. So that brings me to my question: by the real thing/continue trying to math with stain or just paint them white to match the baseboards?

I think we would prefer them to match the floor, but really we are not going to be in the house that much longer and it is more about making it not unpleasnt to a potential buyer. The only area where I will either have to break down or stain is under the cabinets, as they are a reddish cherry and having white 1/4 rounds would look ridiculous.

Thanks for the help.

mr_ekco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:33 PM   #2
Cabinet Installer

What kind of base boards do you have in the rest of the house? Is there a reason you want quarter round rather than baseboards? Paint grade base boards may look very nice if that is what you have in the rest of the house. They are much less expensive than hardwood baseboards as well.

Under the cabinets I would agree that you should match either the cabinets or the floor. do you have any exposed ends or the back of a bar that is not recessed under with a toe kick space? It is common to change the color or even the profile of your trim under your cabinets. I tend to like a larger trim board, but quarter round is often used under the cabinets.

http://www.belbuilt.com
Dansbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:06 PM   #3

The baseboards throughout the house are all white, both downstairs and upstairs. Upstairs is all carpet, downstairs is all hardwoods, now. There is no toe molding of any kind anywhere else in the house except the bathrooms where there is linoleum. I guess I did not make it clear that these rounds were going to go between the floor and baseboards, not the floor and wall. The install was done with the plan to go back and put the rounds, so even in places where the baseboards were removed, there are still gaps present.

There are two exposed edges that is not recessed underneath. Those are there areas where it will be most critical to come up with a stain color to math either the cabinet or the floor.
mr_ekco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:04 AM   #4

We've done it both ways. I perfer to match it to the floor, but the white looks just fine as well. If the cabs are cherry find some cherry baseshoe to match.
RTRCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:24 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Like RTRCon, we too, have done it both ways, tho, the most common installation, is to match the baseboard.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:05 PM   #6
Noob w/ more experience

I think you should match the baseboards, I did that and I think it looks great. I really don't like the look of a wood color quarter round going against a white baseboard. Just my opinion, plus it will be less work for you in staining. I just bought the fake wood quarter round in white from home depot for 3.97 per 8ft and nailed it into the white baseboard and it looks great. I get tons of compliments.
golfer2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #7

We are in the process of installing solid tigerwood in our family room. We had carpet with bright white baseboards and no quarter round. Throughout the rest of the main floor we have hardwood (red oak, honey color) with white baseboards and white quarter round.

It looks really nice and I think the contrast between the tigerwood and the white will highlight the floor even more. So, if your baseboards are white I would get the quarter to match.

Post some pictures when you're done. I would love to see!

MMurphy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote