Quarter Round Against Metal Track For Sliding Glass Door - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2011, 10:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

quarter round against metal track for sliding glass door

I am installing a floating bamboo floor and I am not sure the best way to finish the gap between the floor and the metal piece that forms the track for a sliding glass door (shown above in picture). I would like the gap to be 1/4 - 1/2". I was thinking of installing 3/4" quarter round and glue it to the floor. Is that a good idea? I can not nail into the metal piece. Thanks for any ideas.

Advertisement

hellobritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:08 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

If you glue it to the floor how is going to expand ?
Glue it to the track . lay a business card under the 1/4 round so it is not tight to the floor.
Don't forget to pull the card back out .

Advertisement

Floor Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,232

I kinda disagree with the Doc. I don't think you're gonna get a permanent bond to the metal track. That's a perfect example of why they make a baby-threshold molding. http://www.mohawkflooring.com/hardwo..._threshold.gif

Otherwise place some narrow shims under a quarter round butted to the track and nail downward into the floor allowing for expansion. In looking at that again it looks like the gap may be too wide for 3/4" 1/4 round, so the baby threshold may be best.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:26 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

After looking at the baby threshold, I think that is a good option! thank you both for your help.
hellobritt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floating , quarter round