Quality Underlayment Combinations For Engineered Hardwood? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2008, 05:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 302

Quality Underlayment combinations for engineered Hardwood?

Ok, please go easy on me. For two of the bedrooms in my basement (concrete slab) I purchased some non-name brand engineered 1/2" hardwood flooring for cheap. The guy I purchase from said floating it is fine over the concrete just make sure you have a good moisture barrier and a pad. He suggested using something called floor muffler that is supposedly the pad and moisture barrier in one and is all I need to put down. My original thought was a plastic barrier and separate layer of foam.

Anyone ever heard of floor muffler? Or other barrier/pad all in one options?

Also, is a thick plastic and foam as an underlayment a good way to go? Is so, how thick plastic and any recommendations on good brands of foam?

Thanks.

Advertisement

tigerbalm2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:58 AM   #2

Floor Muffler should be fine. It's a rubberized pad (mainly used for laminates but fine with engineered) with a plastic sheeting on the back for a moisture barrier. Certain products come with pre-taped peel and stick edges so you don't have to tape it all yourself. We sell Silencer, which is a very similar product.

Advertisement

Old 07-25-2008, 06:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppameth View Post
Floor Muffler should be fine. It's a rubberized pad (mainly used for laminates but fine with engineered) with a plastic sheeting on the back for a moisture barrier. Certain products come with pre-taped peel and stick edges so you don't have to tape it all yourself. We sell Silencer, which is a very similar product.
Would you consider floor muffler to be a quality product? I cant find any other combo products (like floor muffler) so I dont have anythign to compare it to.

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:28 PM   #4

I don't personally carry it but I've never heard anything bad about it. The product I carry is one of the best laminate pads we've ever used and I'm pretty sure it's a knock off of Floor Muffler.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:42 PM   #5

What do you use?

I just made trips to Lowes(Blue Pad/Barrier 24c/sq ft), HD(Green 3in1 68c/ sq ft, Red 3in1 50c/sq ft plastic with white spaced spheres as pad), and Menards(Quiet Walk 49c/sq ft, Blue Pad/barrier 40c/sq ft).

The only guy I could find to talk with was at HD and he said the Red 3in1 red plastic barrier with attached white balls as the padding was the best he knew of. It looks so darn cheap I just couldnt pay 50c/sq ft without at least researching a little bit.

Anyone have any experience with these cheap big box underlayments?
Old 07-25-2008, 06:04 PM   #6

This is the one we use.
http://www.foamproducts.com/silencer_main.shtml

The blue one on the left is what we carry. It has the pretaped edges and antimicrobial treatment. Shaw makes a similar product. It's black with pretaped edges. It doesn't have as dense a foam nor the antimicrobial and it was about the same price to us. Quckstep also makes a similar product. It's white and has the Quickstep logon on it. It's nearly identical to the Shaw pad. Kahrs floating wood floors use an underlayment that has two layers of sheet plastic with white foam beads in it. It looks cheap but it gets the job done evidently. They consider it their best pad. So don't knock the Red 3-in-1 just based on that. He may be correct in saying that is the best they carry.

Advertisement