DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Q: Installing Hardwood/Bamboo/Cork over an existing Ceramic Floor

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  user1007 
#1 ·
First off, I would like to say how fortunate and bless I am to come across a message board that dedicated in helping other DYIs.

We just moved into an old home and recently found that the ceramic floor in the galley kitchen and the hall way are slowly coming off. The first survey from a reliable contractor who also assessed our home prior to our purchase determined that this was cause by faulty lay down of the ceramics or the underlay was not locked down properly causing the two layer to move against each other and causing the grout to slowly coming off.

We originally thinking about replacing the entire floor with new ceramics or slate but since we have a toddler daughter and both my wife and I are getting older not younger, we are thinking about installing Brazilian HW or Bamboo or Cork flooring as alternative. This lead to my ultimate question to the board is that can I can I install hardwood over the existing tiles which were not set properly and/or are moving?

TIA.

#2 ·
Solid hardwood that is nailed down cannot be installed over ceramic tile.

Engineered wood that is glued or floated can be installed over the tile, but I would not recommend it if the tiles are loose. You want to have a smooth, flat, solid surface to avoid future problems.

Why not just tear out the tiles? Installing wood over your tile will also make the floors a little higher and may not transation into other rooms properly.

#4 ·
KlintP,

Thank you for your reply and direction to my question.

yes, we don't want to cut corner as we would like to do it right the first time and my question was only to seek alternative solution, if any.

It sounds like we will have to tear up the floor which is not a problem since it is only 200 sq ft coverage.

Thanx.

#6 ·
Glad you are thinking of using flooring from a renewable resource. It may even get you a tax credit. Bamboo and cork floors are really beautiful I think and the color choices nice. Think about putting a cork underlay under whatever you decide on and it will really quiet things and provide another layer of insulation. Will not cost much more if you only have 200sf.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.