Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2008, 12:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

put carpet on laminate >

Hi,
B'cuz of small kidz we decided to put carpet in our living room, rug could work but still leaves some spaces open + it's not so soft like carpet with underlay. So...
Anybody think we can put carpet wall to wall somehow and save our laminate for later ? I don't know whether it glued or not, so didn't try to take it out + we have very nice baseboard with stop.
I've checked carpet strips, nails goes each 6" or so, so it's really killer for floor. And carpet pros don't suggest anything else: carpet need to be stretched and hang on strips that nailed to the floor. + underlay should be stapled also.

Probably we can skip every other nail in strip and later fix those holes in laminate, anybody has experience how good this method, can you see anything after repair.

Or anybody can suggest anything else, how make carpet softer and save laminate.

Tx all
dai

dainova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:56 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

put carpet on laminate >

In order to conventionally install carpet, it must be attached to tack strips and stretched under tension to those tack strips. The tack strips need to be secured to the floor, and you have a floating laminate floor. I think that could really do damage to the laminate you're trying to save.

Have you considered carpet squares? You can get larger squares or smaller squares. They're not terribly expensive, and if someone spills something you can just replace a square or two. You could use some carpet tape to secure them to the laminate. The tape adhesive residue would come up later with some adhesive remover or WD40.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:51 AM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,134

put carpet on laminate >

Quote:
put carpet on laminate >

Hi,
B'cuz of small kidz we decided to put carpet in our living room, rug could work but still leaves some spaces open + it's not so soft like carpet with underlay. So...
Anybody think we can put carpet wall to wall somehow and save our laminate for later ? I don't know whether it glued or not, so didn't try to take it out + we have very nice baseboard with stop.
I've checked carpet strips, nails goes each 6" or so, so it's really killer for floor. And carpet pros don't suggest anything else: carpet need to be stretched and hang on strips that nailed to the floor. + underlay should be stapled also.

Probably we can skip every other nail in strip and later fix those holes in laminate, anybody has experience how good this method, can you see anything after repair.

Or anybody can suggest anything else, how make carpet softer and save laminate.

Tx all
dai

Flooring forums are my main source of entertainment. Just when you think you've heard it all.........look what pops up.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:49 PM   #4
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 250

put carpet on laminate >

dai,
Putting down tackless through your Lam floor will fasten it to the sub floor below and it will no longer be a floating floor. If it is not a glue down you will have trouble in short order. There should be a space between the floor and the wall to allow it to float. Putting nails through it eliminates the purpose of the float. Expansion and contraction is the reason for the needed movement.
The only thing that comes to mind is double face tape. The carpet will lay flat after awhile and may pucker in spots but do not use tackless.
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote