Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2011, 10:00 PM   #1

Share |

Pulling up tile want to change to stained concrete

Hi, my husband has pulled up our ceramic tile in our bathroom. Of course there is thinset that we will need to get off of the existing cement. I read on here that renting an electric hammer from Home Depot has been very successful. My question is, once we use that hammer will we still be able to stain the underlying concrete or will it mess it up? Has anyone ever done this? Will we be forced to put a new layer of concrete down? We've never done stained concrete and will obviously read up on it before doing so, I just wondered how difficult it will be after pulling up the ceramic tile with thinset everywhere?

Longterm -We eventually want to pull up the ceramic tile in the kitchen, laundry, hall area and landing in the entry way and change to stained concrete. I would also like for all of my bathrooms to have stained concrete as well and there are 3 more after this one. There will also be ceramic tile pulled out for wood flooring and the wood flooring and stained concrete will meet up in several areas.

Thanks for any advice. It is hard in our area to even find someone that does stained concrete and comes recommended.

drkauf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:57 AM   #2

Pulling up tile want to change to stained concrete

Using a demolition hammer will chip your concrete. There are surface grinders made to remove adhisive from concrete floors that can be rented. This would be your best bet. It will not damage the concrete. If you have a NU-way in your area they can help with the rental.You will still have to scape the corners.

woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote