Pulled Up The Linoleum Does It Have Asbestos? - Flooring - Page 3 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring


CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #31
DIY staff

 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 25,686
Rewards Points: 2,090
Default


[QUOTE=olzo55;1184246]I don't expect DIY ers to understand friable/non-friable materials.

That statement sort of assumes DIYer are rather simple minded ,doesn't it?

Advertisement

__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #32
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SW Chicago suburbs
Posts: 130
Rewards Points: 195
Default


No I don't think so. Just that they don't have the lingo. But if they want to get out the dictionary......
olzo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #33
DIY staff

 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 25,686
Rewards Points: 2,090
Default


They? ..........................So all DIYers are the same?
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #34
Pro Flooring Installer
 
rusty baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW Missouri
Posts: 4,759
Rewards Points: 476
Default


Back in 1983, I worked at the biggest carpet retailer in Kansas City. Reps from the EPA gave us a talk. They said, if at all possible, underlay over VAT, if not possible, get it wet and scrape it up.
__________________
The ads in my post are there without my permission. I do not endorse any of the products.
Semi-Retired Installer
Installing since 1973
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #35
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SW Chicago suburbs
Posts: 130
Rewards Points: 195
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
They? ..........................So all DIYers are the same?

Mike, adding something important about asbestos or trying to start a controversy where no exists?
olzo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #36
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SW Chicago suburbs
Posts: 130
Rewards Points: 195
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
Back in 1983, I worked at the biggest carpet retailer in Kansas City. Reps from the EPA gave us a talk. They said, if at all possible, underlay over VAT, if not possible, get it wet and scrape it up.

OK. But there's a little more when you're giving advice to people that don't do this every day, no? Just wet it? That's true but a little light on the whole method. The RFCI fills in what you didn't say. The EPA has info, too.
olzo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #37
DIY staff

 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 25,686
Rewards Points: 2,090
Default


Just trying to figure you out.

I think I have.--Mike----
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #38
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SW Chicago suburbs
Posts: 130
Rewards Points: 195
Default


Sure, Mike.

Re read the OP s first post. He's freaking out. He needed accurate info.
olzo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #39
JOATMON
 
ddawg16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S. California
Posts: 10,180
Rewards Points: 7,652
Blog Entries: 2
Default


I smell troll......
__________________
Even if you are on the right track, you will still get run over if you just sit there.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:07 AM   #40
DIY staff

 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 25,686
Rewards Points: 2,090
Default


The OP asked his question in 2008---after five years,I'm sure the 'freaking out' has stopped.
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #41
Pro Flooring Installer
 
rusty baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW Missouri
Posts: 4,759
Rewards Points: 476
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by olzo55 View Post
Mike, adding something important about asbestos or trying to start a controversy where no exists?
What about you? You are pushing the exact same thing on other forums. I think you thrive on controversy.
__________________
The ads in my post are there without my permission. I do not endorse any of the products.
Semi-Retired Installer
Installing since 1973
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #42
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SW Chicago suburbs
Posts: 130
Rewards Points: 195
Default


Ok. Some interesting comments. I wandered here looking to view a concrete staining post that got kicked here from CT.

This topic has been revived twice since it started.Once 2 years after it started and commented on. And now 3 years since the second revival and comments made. I didn't start this revival. But it must be something people search.

What is the chance of 2 posts on the same topic on different forums? Search "asbestos" and find your favorite forum. Here's the number of topics on asbestos:
Floor Pro-977 threads: Contractor Talk-818;JB forum-317. Consumer forums? This Old House-2,355;Holmes on homes-785; DIY forum-500. Controversy? Just happened to be at the same time.

These threads will be seen by contractors and DIY ers for a long, long time. My comment was to give them complete and accurate information. They should check out the EPA,OSHA websites. Some trade associations are good too. The RFCI info follows the EPA.

And don't forget that this site has a disclaimer that comments here may not be accurate or complete and they should use their best judgement regarding what they read.
olzo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:27 AM   #43
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 14
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by olzo55 View Post

This topic has been revived twice since it started.Once 2 years after it started and commented on. And now 3 years since the second revival and comments made. I didn't start this revival. But it must be something people search.

These threads will be seen by contractors and DIY ers for a long, long time. My comment was to give them complete and accurate information. They should check out the EPA,OSHA websites. Some trade associations are good too. The RFCI info follows the EPA.

And don't forget that this site has a disclaimer that comments here may not be accurate or complete and they should use their best judgement regarding what they read.
And now I've revived it again...

For those of us who love old houses, dealing with potentially toxic materials is just part of the gig.

The notion that "a single fiber of asbestos" can cause lung disease is a bit over the top. If you're a susceptible host, then yeah, I guess a single fiber could do you in, but as another poster said, most of the people over 10 years old have been exposed to asbestos time and time again.

Remember the old Lady Kenmore washing machines? The "snubber" ( that little disc that was held in place by a strong wire spring, and sat on top of the tub rim) had high-content asbestos. Toasters and hair-dryers had asbestos (used as a heat shield). Flooring and ceilings and all manner of home improvement products had asbestos.

My father-in-law worked in the Norfolk Naval Shipyard during WW2, and they'd work with asbestos. He said the white stuff was in the air so thick that you couldn't see 50 feet in front of you. He lived to a ripe old age, and died of a non-related disease.

Chances are, incidental exposure (such as most homeowners will have) will not hurt you. I would never knowingly or purposefully expose myself now (I'm in my late 50s), but I really don't think there's any reason to be terrified of the stuff.
rosethornva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:32 AM   #44
Pro Flooring Installer
 
rusty baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW Missouri
Posts: 4,759
Rewards Points: 476
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethornva View Post
And now I've revived it again...

For those of us who love old houses, dealing with potentially toxic materials is just part of the gig.

The notion that "a single fiber of asbestos" can cause lung disease is a bit over the top. If you're a susceptible host, then yeah, I guess a single fiber could do you in, but as another poster said, most of the people over 10 years old have been exposed to asbestos time and time again.

Remember the old Lady Kenmore washing machines? The "snubber" ( that little disc that was held in place by a strong wire spring, and sat on top of the tub rim) had high-content asbestos. Toasters and hair-dryers had asbestos (used as a heat shield). Flooring and ceilings and all manner of home improvement products had asbestos.

My father-in-law worked in the Norfolk Naval Shipyard during WW2, and they'd work with asbestos. He said the white stuff was in the air so thick that you couldn't see 50 feet in front of you. He lived to a ripe old age, and died of a non-related disease.

Chances are, incidental exposure (such as most homeowners will have) will not hurt you. I would never knowingly or purposefully expose myself now (I'm in my late 50s), but I really don't think there's any reason to be terrified of the stuff.
Just like the lead paint scare. Much ado about nothing.
__________________
The ads in my post are there without my permission. I do not endorse any of the products.
Semi-Retired Installer
Installing since 1973
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:43 AM   #45
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1
Default


My home was built in 1925. I pulled up some old carpet and found a large piece of linoleum that had a print on it that looked like carpet, a design. It is not glued down and when I called to ask the previous owners if they knew how old it was they said they had laid the carpet in the 70s and just covered it up. Since its not glued down can I just dispose of it normally? Roll it up and such?
Attached Thumbnails
pulled up the linoleum does it have asbestos?-14540029020632028908819_1454002948198.jpg  

Advertisement

Sherla Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
vinyl siding over asbestos?? Buckeyes97 Remodeling 12 08-21-2012 09:20 PM
Removing Vinyl Tile Adhesive from Linoleum The Raven Flooring 3 07-22-2008 08:38 PM
Transite Siding Cover Up? Bones Jones Painting 4 04-03-2008 06:14 PM
Linoleum Finish Question scubasteve882001 Flooring 1 02-12-2007 07:55 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

 

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1