Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

problems with screen and recoat

Hello, I just bought a foreclosure with approx. 1500 square feet of hand-scraped hardwood flooring. The finish looks extremely thin and worn in several places, so after reviewing this board, I decided to get quotes on a screen and recoat. One contractor came out and did a test spot of dura seal poly. The poly did not fish-eye when applying, so the contractor thought the poly should adhere to the floor. But after 4 days of drying, I can scrape the poly off with my fingernail. The contractor is now going to come out and do a test spot using Bona Traffic. Do I have any hope of this working, or am I doomed to having to completely sand and refinish the floor? Also, the contractor mentioned doing a paste wax finish if the Bona also fails. Any thoughts on that? We have 3 small kids and 2 dogs, so we are looking for a durable finish. Thank you for your advice.

thedeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #2

The problem is you need to rough up the finish that is on the floor already so that the new finish has a rough area to stick to. A hand scraped floor has to many highs and lows to screen with a buffer. There is a new attachment for a buffer that has 6 sponge sanders attached. This would let you lightly sand the surface so the new poly will stick. Other than that you will have to hand sand the floor. I use 100 grit paper.

woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:17 AM   #3

yep, i'd go with the hand sand option, it'll take a few hours but you don't need to sand the hell out of it, just one pass should be enough, any machinery could take you down to the bare wood on some of the high spots.

You could hand sand 1500 sq ft in a few hours easily.
Hoquester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:37 PM   #4

If the previous owner used any kind of wax on the floor the finish wont stick. the sanding recommended should remove that.
the contractor isnt gonna apply the bona traffic over the poly that didnt stick is he?
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #5

Unless you do a full resand you HAVE TO coat like on top of like.. wax on wax, oil on oil and water on water.

A full resand which knock the hand scraping down to a flat floor, but you can start again and choose a new stain color and any type of finish, however.. sanding the wax of can be an issue, sanding heats up the wax, liquifying it and driving it into the wood more, plus it can seep into the gaps... causing all sorts of problems.

If you just want you touch up the wear and keep the handscraped look, then re applying a wax coat is your only option ( recommended ) It's really a tough durable finish fir kids and pets but it petty easy to maintain and rebuff

Last edited by Hoquester; 05-01-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Hoquester is offline   Reply With Quote