Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2007, 05:23 PM   #1

Share |

Problems with Omni Grip tile adhesive

Hello all!

I wish I had checked here 48 hours ago. I recently went to Home Depot to buy tile adhesive for my bathroom floor. I told the salesperson that I have a cement slab and that I am installing ceramic tile to it as part of my bathroom renovatioin. The salesperson told me that Omni Grip was perfect for the job. No mess and pre-mixed. Saturday morning a friend and I used Omni Grip while laying my 12" ceramic tile. Sunday mornning I thought we were going to grout the floor. After doing just a little grout work I noticed one of the tiles moving. A quick test revealed that the adhesive was not holding and, you guessed it, the adhesive had the consistency of toothpaste. I have been without this bathroom since Hurrican Katrina and after 18 months of being on a waiting list, the marble for the shower is finally scheduled to be installed later in the week. To make things even more interesting, the tile I used was the last 4 boxes of this particular tile at the Surplus Warehouse ($1.09 s.f - a bargain!). Do I wait a few days to see if it dries? My house is air conditioned so humidity is not a problem. Is there any hope that Omni Grip will firm up in the near future? Should I put a space heater in the bathroom? Should I go ahead and try to pry the tiles up without breaking them? If I pry them up what is the best way of remvoing the adhesive from the tiles and floor? Thanks for any suggestions.

Blue in South Missisisppi

Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:39 PM   #2
Home Improvement Guy

They will dry eventually, but thinset mortar would have been the way to go. IMHO Omni Grip is for lazy people that don't want to add water and mix real thinset. The only time I ever use it is for kitchen backsplashes. Don't walk on it for at least 3 days, and you should be able to grout by then. Depending on conditions, I've heard of drytimes as high as 1 month for this stuff and even longer to turn hard. Another thing, do yourself a favor and don't use the premixed grout.

ron schenker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:53 PM   #3

I agree with Ron's post 100%. It will dry in a few days. Dont trust the Home Depot employees' advice for anything...they know jack....that b.s. about them being former contractors and knowledgable is crap. I have never met a 19 year old zit faced former contractor.
send_it_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:27 PM   #4

Thank you both for your replies. I managed to reach someone in the support section at the company that makes Omni Grip. He said the product would dry in about 5 days. Nothing like that is on the label. He told me to use fans/heater on it. Nothing like that on the label either. He also said that the product does not setup like portland cement and that it remains somewhat flexible to keep the tile from cracking with the expansion/contraction of the slab. I don't think that is a problem for me since my slab is 40 years old. I told him I thought the flexibility would cause the grout to crack. He disagreed. Needless to say he didn't offer any real solutions. I am really worried about the "give" in the product. I guess I will take my chances - wait, grout and hope I sell my house before it falls apart. Thank you for your advice. Oh, I will certainly discount anything I hear from HD.

Still Blue in Mississippi
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:03 PM   #5

Angry

Like the previous postings my experience with Omni Grip is not a good one. I was advised by a number of employees at Home Depot that Omni Grip would work over the existing plywood in my kitchen. The tile floor is down and after three days the floor tiles are still spring up and down, causing the grout to break up. I waited 48 hours to grout after setting the tile using Omin Grip, an extra 24 hours than the container directions. To say the least, I am very disappointed with both the employees at Home Depot and the maker of Omni Grip.

Conclusions. Never use this product on floors. Rip up the plywood and set concrete board and use traditional thin-set. Do not take the advise of a retail clerk who most likely has at best a surface understanding of what they sell.

As a high school teacher, I always tell kids that shortcuts are generally problematic. Omni Grip is a shortcut and it does not work for flooring at least.
spnugent_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:40 PM   #6

Thumbs down

Whatever you do - DO NOT USE OMNIGRIP! This is the worst tile adhesive out there. It just never seems to dry and the tiles all started cracking! The company should be ashamed of themselves as should the workers at Home Depot that recommended this horrible product. I would rather burn my money than do another tile job using this adhesive. Save your money! As noted in another reply, there is nothing written on the product about the long drying time. I have read posts on other forums that indicated that the product never dried even after a year! I have read dozens of posts of unhappy people that have wasted their money on this product. I am unfortunately one of these people. I just want to get the word so that everyone knows that this is a horrible product. The owners of this company should rot.

Lipo Tile
Lipo Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:01 AM   #7

Remember that the associates at Home Depot are being drilled that Omni Grip is the best thing on the market, that it will stick all kinds of tile. This is a new product, so many of them have never tried it.

By the way as my username suggests I work in Home Depot. I was a carpet and vinyl installer from 1983-2000 and still find myself power stretching (not kicking) carpet 3 or 4 times a month.

My knowledge of tile is very limited, admittedly. When a leading setting material like Custom Building products are telling you this stuff is the pre mixed answer to flex bond and you are not getting returns or negative feedback, you are likely to keep recommending it.

This is the first negative I have heard on this product.
HomeDepot23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #8

A friend of mine was advised by a Home Depot employee to buy Omni Grip to do the backsplash in her kitchen. She's never applied tile or even grouted before. My question is, does Omni Grip also grout, or does she need to buy a separate grout? Thanks!
tarc817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:28 AM   #9
Tileguy

Omni-Grip is adhesive, mastic. A backsplash tile installation is one of few places most of us would use a pre-mixed product. Yes you also need grout. The type of grout depends on the tiles and the width of the joints.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:29 PM   #10

Exclamation

I wish I had read this post before I had started to lay down tile. To the OP use a large flat mud or putty knife to pry up the tile and use this same mud knife to scoop up this Omnicrap and dispose off it in the original bucket. Put your tile on a tarp and hose down or if it is really stuck on you can use a power washer. I washed my floor with Simple Green and TSP to get the rest of that Omnicrap up....never again.
tripower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #11
sor

I realize this thread is old, but it came up as a top search result. I for one really like omnigrip. I have never used it on floors though. The product does get really hard (as in need a tool to score it) but it takes a week or two. Hard enough to withstand compression but at the same time it won't fracture or crack.

I tried it when putting stone on my fireplace. The mortar was a nightmare for me, stones sliding and falling off due to the surface area to weight ratio. After doing a few rows with sticks or anything I could find jammed in between to prop up each stone, and my mortar setting up before I could use it, I broke down and bought the pricey omnigrip. It was tacky enough to stick a 12x3x3 ledgestone to durock without budging. What a lifesaver. Since its white I did have to go back and pipe some sanded grout in a few of the cracks

Next, I did a bath surround with 4x4 travertine. Again, I figured I'd save money and do it the 'normal' way with thinset. What a mess trying to spread that stuff on wet durock, with half of what's on your trowel plopping on the ground. What did it for me though was that with the tile cutting and design I could barely get a few rows up before my thinset was solid and no amount of water was loosening it up. Do I mix 2 quarts of thinset at a time and take forever to do this? No, I again shelled out the cash for omnigrip, which went on smoothly, very little mess (most of the mess you see below is from the white thinset I started out with), plenty of working time for my design, and good hold. Grouted 3 days later (omnigrip was solid enough but still a bit rubbery) and both of the projects have been solid and looked great ever since (three years).

I found this thread while researching whether omnigrip is good for floors. I have not had any issues using thinset on floors (did a heated loor in the same bath with the suntouch mats), so I'll probably stick with thinset on floors, omnigrip on vertical surfaces. I'm positive it would work on floors because of how hard it eventually gets, but it's tougher to leave a floor undisturbed for a week or two. I think the drying time for omnigrip is really its achilles heel, but it has enough advantages that I'd recommend it on walls.
Attached Thumbnails
Problems with Omni Grip tile adhesive-family2.jpg   Problems with Omni Grip tile adhesive-constbath.jpg   Problems with Omni Grip tile adhesive-bathdown.jpg  

Last edited by sor; 03-26-2011 at 11:13 AM.
sor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #12

Question

I'm a third of the way in hanging stone mosaics on my bathroom wall on backerboard using the Omni grip adhesives. Yes, I'm one of those lazy people mentioned earlier! But, I just laid my first floor and have moved on to trying the mosaics, a bit trickier to get to look right without gaps. Is the Omni product that bad? We are in no hurry to grout and walking on it is obviously not an issue. My husband keeps saying I should have used thin set mortar and I don't want him to be right!
Please reply quickly! Sounds like I might be in time to remove the mosaics and scrape the backer board if I hear I should start over with mortar. thanks!
Signed, A woman in a hurry to finish a DIY house.
Kkrueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:44 PM   #13
sor

As I mentioned, I actually prefer omnigrip for walls, great working time especially with those mosaics, and will hold pretty much anything on the vertical surface. It will hold well as long as you give it some time to dry before you grout. For the novice thinset might set up before you can get your stuff on the wall, especially if you need to cut as you go. Pros would never waste their time waiting for it to set up, but I haven't had any quality issues over the last few years.

Again, can't speak for floors, but it does get very hard once dry. Just takes awhile.
sor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:26 AM   #14
DIY staff

That product is a failure for floors (especially concrete)--and any wet area --it will desolve after drying
when exposed to water.

With larger tiles over concrete the mastic may never completely dry.

DO NOT USE THAT PRODUCT FOR FLOORS OR SHOWERS-----use powdered thinset.---Mike---
Old 04-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #15

Thanks for your replies! Sor- I appreciate your advice. I hope I get good results like you did, but I have a question for you. Have you ever had to reapply Omni Grip? Last night I had to remove several sheets because there were too many gaps between the sheets. (I have had some trouble getting the interlocking sheets to always match up.) I scraped the extra adhesive off the backer board, but there is still some residue left there and on the back of the stones, which is probably dry by now. Do I need to wash it off? If so, what do I use?
And this will be a "dry wall" with mirrors and vanity against it, so no worries about it getting wet beyond being a backsplash.
Thanks so much for the advice!!!!!

Kkrueger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kkrueger For This Useful Post:
crazie88 (06-17-2011)