DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

problem: Water on wood floor during refinishing

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  What have I done 
#1 ·
I have a contractor working for me refinishing a wood floor. It has been sanded and was about to be tinted when an incident occurred overnight. Someone came in and spilled liquid (water or beer, I can't determine which) on the floor. That was 4 days ago. Pictures of the affected area of the floor are attached.

The contractor says that in order to continue work on it within four days from now, commercial fans, dehumidification, and tenting will be needed to get all the moisture out of the wood (this, according to him, is required before the wood is finished). Right now he says the boards have a 60% moisture content. He recommends I spend $600 for the drying equipment. I don't want to spend $600. He also wants $750 more to re-prepare the four-foot by eight-foot area for finishing. That cost seems out of line to me.

My questions are these: How can I know when the wood is dry enough to proceed? How would the refinished floor look if we proceeded with the re-sanding today? How does the contractor know the moisture content in the wood?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Moisture is checked with a moisture meter.

IMO, he's trying to put the screws to you. Go to the local rental store & rent a carpet dryer or 2 & let them blow over the floor for a day or 2. Dry wood will return to a dry state in short order.

$750 to reprep that area? I know he's trying to put the screws to you. Fire his ass & call someone else, or take over the project yourself. I'll be glad to walk you through the rest of the process if you decide to go that route.

#3 ·
seems OUTRAGEOUS!. put some fans and a dehudifier for a day. sand and proceed.

this may seem crazy to some But I often damp mop my floors between sanding. THe moistures raises the grain. then I fine sand and get a nice smooth floor.

stain and Poly as usual. BTW I always use oil base Poly. It takes longer to dry and stinks But We feel it hold up better than water based poly.

Here's some pics of the floors at my house. and yes I mopped and wet the floors before the final sanding

http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/new-wood-flooring-41523/

good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.