Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #1

Share |

problem with a simple floor tile design

OK, first it this isn't technically DIY, more like a second opinion. I'm having somebody do a small tile floor for me with a very simple design.

I couldn't get a picture to upload, so I hope I can describe this well enough.
Essentially, I have large light tiles (18x18) and small dark tiles (4x4). Every large tile gets a corner clipped, and where the four clipped corners come together, a small tile is inserted diagonally with respect to the larger tiles. Simple enough, right?

OK, here is a link to a picture of that pattern:
http://homedesignresource.com/wp-con...iles-ideas.jpg
(it's just the center part, not the border stuff)

Well, the installer tells me that it is practically impossible to do. He says that when the tiles (ceramic) get clipped, they will be as sharp as a razor's edge, so it's very likely that I sould cut my feet if I tried to walk over it. Also the clipped edge would stand up higher because the edges of the tiles are all beveled and slightly thinner than the rest of the tile.

Also, the smaller tiles have to be cut from larger tiles (because they don't come in the desired size), and they are just a tad thicker than the larger tiles (maybe 1/16 inch).

So is this really impossible to do without creating razor edges? I feel like this is a common floor pattern. I've seen it in a lot of places, and I don't see how it is so complicated.

Is the installer missing something? Is there a solution for "razor edge" problem?

wengang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #2

get a new installer

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #3

OK.
That's a little less specific than I'd hoped.
But I did do some research and I found that the tiles can be sanded, filed, or even rubbed with concrete or stones to dull the edges. So I'm not sure what this guy's problem is.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #4

if he is trying not to do it the way you want he might feel he doesn't have the skill to do it right. I would talk to at least 2 other tile guys. Is this guy a real tile guy or a handyman that does tile?
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #5

But, when you bevel the cut edge, won't you be exposing the ceramic/porcelain, which is likely a different color than the glaze? Unless, of course, you're using natural stone.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
Tileguy

This is a common problem when people create a pattern with tiles that really shouldn't go with each other. This tile guy is right and the end results may not be to his and your liking. However I don't know the exact situation or his skills.

The pattern is easy enough, that's not the problem. But when you clip corners, the tile will be a little thicker than the edges. Since your inserts are thicker however, this may not be as big a problem as it could be. I can't tell without seeing them.

But remember that often the tile guy gives a quote for a basic installation, and later the customer adds this extra work and doesn't think he should pay more. That may be the biggest problem here, I don't know the situation.

If you settle on a new price, be prepared to "see" and "feel" some sharp edges because of the cuts and the difference in tile thickness. (1/16" is a lot) He can hit the cuts with a stone, but they will still be sharp and not rounded.

I've done and seen this many times, sometimes it looks good, sometimes, not so much. Depends on the tiles and how much extra time can be spent on the grouting too. Either way it's a lot more work.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
ddawg16 (03-21-2013), oh'mike (03-21-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
JOATMON

I have to agree with Jaz....even though I'm not a tile expert....we have cut tiles for our house....and when you do...you end up with a sharp edge. Normally, you take the cut edge and it ends up against a cabinet or wall and it's not an issue. But in this case, I can see where it would be a problem.

I'm inclined to think that the installer has done it before and it came back to bite him....

Ever hear the expression "You learn by your mistakes"? Well, why do you think some of the guys in here are so bloody smart?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #8

Thanks for the replies.
I posted this thread in the Tiling section also, so I'm going to end this thread here.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #9

Yeah. I also faced this problem.

Last edited by brendanmckenzie; 03-28-2013 at 01:08 PM.
brendanmckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote