Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2010, 10:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Problem with laminate in hallway

I ran into a problem while laying click lock laminate in my hallway. Basically, I am almost complete, but the last line (I am laying the laminate longways with the hallway) I need to rip boards on my table saw and then lock them to the flooring already down. The actual problem is that I don't have space to lock the boards in with the door casing/trim from hallway rooms in the way . If I cut the boards to fit around it, then the sub floor would be visible between the door casing and the flooring.

I already sawed the door trim to fit the flooring, but there's no space to slide the plank under then angle & lock.

Hammerhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:02 PM   #2

Below is an image of what I am trying to describe above.
Attached Thumbnails
Problem with laminate in hallway-img_1152.jpg  

Old 09-23-2010, 01:29 AM   #3

Take the door trim off .Then in the pic shown ,I would slide the laminate as far left and back as possible , It looks like you don't have a gap at the left wall , it needs a 1/4 gap ,Or you could have it slid left ...If so ,with the door trim off cut it so it fits as tight as possible to the caseing , Then slide the laminate to the right and forward ,Use a piece of trim to check the gap to the wall gets covered, Doors in halls are always a tight fit , when I cut the piece under the door case I always cut a small arc where the door trim covers , and make sure the trim goes about 1/4 inch under , Before you continue on hold the door trim in place you will soon see what I mean as far as a arc in the laminate that goes under the caseing , tacomahardwoodfloors.com
tacomahardwood. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:36 AM   #4

Thanks, I will try that. As far as the gap at the left goes: that's actually a closet to the left, so the wood goes in and has the gap in the closet.

So far I've maintained the gap pretty well around the rooms, but there may be a few places where it's a bit tight. What happens if the gap isn't there anyway?
Old 09-23-2010, 02:16 PM   #5
STAFF

Rewards Points: 18

One thing I am not is an expert on the laminated floor, although I have installed quite a bit of it, mostly for myself and friends. I did have a situation like you have and it may not be the way to do it but I took a knife and trimmed the lock off the piece and glued it really well in place where the lock would have been. It is still in place with no problems. By the way, the gap is to allow for expansion of the flooring, leaving no gap can cause the flooring to buckle.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote