Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2007, 11:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Prevent potential water from the bathroom

Hi,

I'm about to laminate the hallway, but the bathroom at the end has tile flooring 2cm higher than the hallway, which means potentially excess water could make it's way out to damage the laminate (say after washing the bathroom floor). Actually it will happen because the existing carpet is already sometimes wet.

My plan is to make a concrete step/strip just outside the bathroom to stop the water, so that excess water can flow back to the drain hole. I also plan to cover the concrete with edging tiles to make it look good.

Is this a good plan? Any foreseeable problems? Thanks!

peter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:23 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter1 View Post
Hi,

I'm about to laminate the hallway, but the bathroom at the end has tile flooring 2cm higher than the hallway, which means potentially excess water could make it's way out to damage the laminate (say after washing the bathroom floor). Actually it will happen because the existing carpet is already sometimes wet.

My plan is to make a concrete step/strip just outside the bathroom to stop the water, so that excess water can flow back to the drain hole. I also plan to cover the concrete with edging tiles to make it look good.

Is this a good plan? Any foreseeable problems? Thanks!
Initially sounds ok....based on your descriptions....

What you should also do is seal the laminate flooring edge that is adjacent to the doorway and beyond - with clear silicone. It's standard practice and often required for warranty purposes when installing laminate in bathrooms/kitchens....

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:04 AM   #3

Quote:
What you should also do is seal the laminate flooring edge that is adjacent to the doorway and beyond - with clear silicone.
Good idea, thanks!

Most likely the end pieces will be cut to fit, do I seal the edges before laying them? Or squeeze just enough silicone (not completely fill) into the expansion gap after laying?

Do you reckon I should also seal in between the joins when it gets near to the bathroom?
Old 04-19-2007, 10:13 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
.... do I seal the edges before laying them?
No.

Quote:
...... squeeze just enough silicone (not completely fill) into the expansion gap after laying?
Yes. You want to 'seal' the edges so that no water can penetrate under the laminate or into the sides of it.

Quote:
Do you reckon I should also seal in between the joins when it gets near to the bathroom?
No. The joints generally snap tight. It's the edges that are 'open' and can absorb moisture. Also - Check the manufacturer's fact sheet and installation procedures, for any additional tips.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 04-19-2007 at 10:17 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Yes. You want to 'seal' the edges so that no water can penetrate under the laminate or into the sides of it.
Thanks for that. I'm about to do it, question: there's underlay under the laminates, do I apply the silicone around the edges of the laminates so that silicone is on the underlay? Or to cut the underlay flush to the laminates so that the silicone land on the concrete?