Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2013, 12:44 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Prepping for Hardwood: SCREWS + EXISTING NAILS into SUBFLOOR OVERKILL?

Hello,

I've read various threads about using deck screws to eliminate squeaks in the sub-floor and have found them insightful.

I'm renovating a two story house built in 1984 and recently ripped out the carpet on the 2nd floor to install hardwood floors. It's a split level home and the 1st floor is on a concrete slab. My father-in-law was the original builder of the house and noted that they used 2" twisted shank nails along with sub-floor adhesive to secure the 3/4" sub-floor to the joist. Nevertheless, after 29 years the heavily traveled parts of the floor have developed squeaks.

For those area, I'm removing these nails and securing them with Grip Rite #8 2.0" T-20 Torx Deck Srews. But I can't help but wonder if I should just screw the entire sub-floor just to nip any future squeaks. We plan on staying in this house for 25+ years so maybe it's not overkill?

My father-in-law feels that yes, that would be overkill. He thinks that any other squeaks would have developed by now after 29 years and that I should just concentrate on the existing squeaky portions.

My questions to you guys are:

1. Will this be overkill?

2. If I were to proceed, where would I install the new screws? Righ next to the existing nails or between existing nails? Should I space the screws every 12"?

3. Would there be any ill effects from installing deck screws along with existing nails? Will the screws create unwanted floor movement due to difference pressue points of existing nails and the new screws?

Pics of my existing sub-floor and nail are attached. Thanks guys, I appreciate any expertise comments you might have.
Attached Thumbnails
Prepping for Hardwood: SCREWS + EXISTING NAILS into SUBFLOOR OVERKILL?-1.jpg   Prepping for Hardwood: SCREWS + EXISTING NAILS into SUBFLOOR OVERKILL?-2.jpg   Prepping for Hardwood: SCREWS + EXISTING NAILS into SUBFLOOR OVERKILL?-3.jpg   Prepping for Hardwood: SCREWS + EXISTING NAILS into SUBFLOOR OVERKILL?-4.jpg   Prepping for Hardwood: SCREWS + EXISTING NAILS into SUBFLOOR OVERKILL?-5.jpg  

BodegaBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:00 AM   #2

Using screws is a good idea. I did the same thing a few months ago before getting hardwood installed.

AND I HAVE NO SQUEAKS ...

Because you NEVER have enough room .........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CitadelBlue; 08-29-2013 at 08:40 AM.
CitadelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:02 AM   #3

If I had to guess I'd say the real issue is he did not use Tonged and grooved subflooring, and he did not leave any gaps so as the floor flexes the two pieces of wood are rubbing together.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

The post looked interesting, but the ads cover so much of it, I cannot read it.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #5

I think it's a little overkill as well. I also note the lack of tongue and groove, and the boards a bit too close together, but that is not necessarily the source of squeaks. You probably won't have any problem using screws through the old adhesive, because I would expect it to have been squashed flat by the nails. I'd walk over the floor thouroughly and address any areas I found. You will have fewer squeaks coming from the subfloor after installing hardwoods than through carpet, because the hardwoods will tend to hide some of them. Of course hardwoods can create new squeaks of their own if not installed properly. Or, a soft spot in the underlying subfloor that doesn't squeak on its own could cause the hardwood on top to squeak later, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Once hardwoods are in place you can still address a squeak at that time if you have to.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #6

Thanks guys for all the input. I'm going to play it safe and put in screws.

Edit: I did confirm with my father-in-law that they used T&G for the subfloor.

Last edited by BodegaBay; 08-29-2013 at 04:53 PM.
BodegaBay is offline   Reply With Quote