Prepping Floor For Laminate - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Prepping Floor For Laminate

The attached video shows what I discovered when I pulled up the vinyl flooring. It's not quite even with the rest appears to have been pieced together with an old fruit crate. 1 piece is NOT nailed down, others appear to be solid when it is jumped on. Does this need to come out, should it be sanded, use floor leveling compound/ just put luan over it?

Also, when pulling up the vinyl on the opposite side of the room found a disconnected heat duct with the grate on it under the vinyl. Not going to hook that heat duct back up so what is the best way to fix both of these problems and get it ready for the laminate floor to go down?

http://youtu.be/TQPaCpMpeGg

I'm a novice at best at this, did laminate 1 other time for a friend who went the super cheap not right route, want this to look good and last a very long time like it's supposed to.

Advertisement

TheJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 738

As long as the floor is flat (all the same height) and solid your fine.
If you do decide to go with an underlayment do not use luan, go with underlaymant rated sanded plywood instead.
No there not the same thing.

Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #3

Tried 5/8 OSB, didn't like it. Not quite flat. So I ripped out the rest of the wood they had scabbed in under the fruit crates. Now I got a hole 23 1/2 x 42 x 1 1/2. Off to the lumber yard, picked up 4 2x4's, ripped em down slightly on the table saw & cut to 23 1/2 length. Teeter tottering on the 1 joist so marked and nothed the 2 x 4 taking out 1/4 inch. Tried it back in with shave and it works perfectly. Okay, yes I have 2 x 4's for a sub-floor but they aren't moving and now I have a flat floor to do the laminate on.

Let you guys know how this job continues to go and I'll get more pics up.

Last edited by TheJerk; 04-04-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
As long as the floor is flat (all the same height) and solid your fine.
If you do decide to go with an underlayment do not use luan, go with underlaymant rated sanded plywood instead.
No there not the same thing.
But you've raised another question for me Joe, what is the difference between Luan and Sandable Plywood and why one over the other?