Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2008, 07:42 AM   #1

Share |

preping concrete slab for floating floor

I've decided to float a laminate floor over tile in thinset on a concrete slab in my townhouse for resale. The tile is dated by sound all except for about 10 tile that were installed over an expansion joint. I removed all damaged tile and thinset (it's right up against a wall at the edge of the floor). I wanted to seal the expansion gap so I used Quickcrete in a tube. It seems flexible enought to allow the joint to do it's work. The floor gets cold in the the northeast. Does this sound like an all right fix or should I take up the quickcrete. I'd like to have it squared away before the floating floor goes in.

Thanks,

Jon
Shabadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:50 AM   #2
Tileguy

Not really able to follow this:

Quote:
I've decided to float a laminate floor over tile in thinset on a concrete slab in my townhouse for resale.
OK got that much maybe. You are saying the tile is now set in thinset???

Quote:
The tile is dated by sound...
Don't understand that!

Quote:
...except for about 10 tile that were installed over an expansion joint.
OK got that too.

Quote:
I wanted to seal the expansion gap so I used Quickcrete in a tube.
Not gettin' this. Why would you want to seal an expansion gap?

Shall we start over?
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:16 AM   #3

Sorry typing fast at work

I meant to say that the tile is dated (old looking and unable to find replacements) but sound (solidly set in thinset to the slab)

Basically, I wanted to float the laminate over the good tile, so I removed the damaged tile and flakey thinset near the wall (only about 10 or so tiles of various sizes. In doing so, I revealed the expansion joint (explaining the damaged tile). Thinking I was going to use self leveling cement to level the area with removed tile to that of the tiled area, I sealed the expansion joint with QuickCrete(acrylic, I believe it came in the tube).

Realizing that it would not be a good idea to put leveling cement over the expansion joint, I abandoned that idea and am looking for a floating solution to bring the area of removed tile level with that of the tiled area (i.e. additional underlayment such as cork). It's not a very large area that has tile removed and it is right up against a wall so there is not much foot traffic over it.

So I'm basically left with and expansion joint that has the quickcrete over it. It seems flexible enough for the joint to do its job and would probably help with moisture, but I am wondering if I should just try and remove it knowing a moisture barrier will be going over it when I install the laminate. If it will do no harm to leave it I will do so and it may help prevent moisture as well.

I hope that explains it a little better.

Thanks for taking the time.

Jon
Old 07-30-2008, 09:19 AM   #4

Also, Yes the current tile (non damaged) is currently set in thinset installed on a concrete slab.

Ideally I just want to go over it with laminate but need to square away the best way to level the area that has removed tile and thin set to that of the area with the remaining tile.

Also what to do with the quickcrete now covering the expansion joint.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
Tileguy

Quote:
Ideally I just want to go over it with laminate but need to square away the best way to level the area that has removed tile and thin set to that of the area with the remaining tile. Also what to do with the Quikrete now covering the expansion joint.
OK now we're getting somewhere.

First of all the expansion joint is obviously alive and well. The uprooted tile over it is testimony to this fact.

This being the case you wouldn't want to cover the joint. It's OK to fill the area with Quikrete but you must honor the expansion joint in some fashion. If you don't, in the future when the joint decides to move again it could dislodge the Quikrete covering it and cause an upheaval in the filler. The product would need a place to go and will want to go upward. This may also transmit to your laminate flooring and cause issues there. To be safe, honor the joint and you'll be fine.

If your patch is solid basically all you have to do at this point is remove the Quickrete over the joint.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:00 PM   #6

Thanks Bud, I appreciate the time.

I had a call back from the place that was quoting to install the floor. They are recommending leaving the joint sealed (or removing the quickcrete and replacing with caulk) then using the self leveling cement to cover the area in question to bring it up to level with the tile. They said to go over the joint with the self leveling cement but the seal would keep it from entering the joint.

Would cementing over the joint honor the joint? It seems that was the trouble with the tile. Is there a way to honor the joint and level the area solidly so it's level with the good tile. Perhaps I could tile replacement tiles (it doesn't have to be pretty) or cement up to but not over the joint? Any thoughts?

It's perplexing me. I'm just trying to get it ready to sell but I don't want to necessarily do a shotty job of repair. "Do unto others" and all that
Old 07-30-2008, 07:07 PM   #7

actually reading your post again it sounds like you've already answered my question and that I should cement "around" the joint, but leave the area a above the joint free of material.

Correct?

At this point the quickcrete I have down is basically only over the joint. It's an acrylic type material out of a tube. Almost like a caulk. I haven't put down anything yet to try to level the area. It scrapes off the cement pretty easy but sticks to the felt really well
Old 07-30-2008, 08:19 PM   #8

The school board used to make us fill in the expansion joints with expandable foam and cover with a silicon caulk. Nasty job.
HomeDepot23 is offline   Reply With Quote